How to start a Landscape Photography Business

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri 05 Jul 2019, 18:47

How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby abennettphotography » Thu 24 Oct 2019, 19:49

This, I think, will be useful for some people. And if you're into Landscapes check out Thomas Heaton's channel on the YouTube

https://www.naturettl.com/how-to-start- ... dNW86MsutQ
User avatar
Peter Boughton
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed 22 Aug 2012, 13:35
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Peter Boughton » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 00:20

Thanks Andy.

Thomas Heaton also has a website, where he points out the hardest part of landscape photography is getting up early, and that's certainly my biggest challenge right now.
Mike Farley
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 16:38
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 22:17

A lot of professional photographers say that around 90% of their time is taken up running their business, leaving just 10% for the actual photography itself. There is a lot to be said for being an amateur and doing what we love with satisfaction and fun being an ample reward.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
User avatar
Peter Boughton
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed 22 Aug 2012, 13:35
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Peter Boughton » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 20:58

Mike Farley wrote:A lot of professional photographers say that around 90% of their time is taken up running their business, leaving just 10% for the actual photography itself.

The other way of looking at this statistic is: with a five day working week, that's a full half day every week. How many amateurs get to spend four hours every week doing photography?
Mike Farley
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 16:38
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 22:32

Peter Boughton wrote:The other way of looking at this statistic is: with a five day working week, that's a full half day every week. How many amateurs get to spend four hours every week doing photography?

Those few hours are not necessarily subjects which the professionals would choose for themselves. For many, I doubt if the working week consists of the usual 9-5, either. The trick, I suppose, is to be able to do what you enjoy while getting paid but that undoubtedly involves a fair bit of graft at the outset.

I am also reminded of a former member who successfully completed a year long photo-a-day project while holding down a full time job. He still has my respect for managing that and producing a wide range of creative images. I really have no idea how he managed it.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 16:38
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 03 Nov 2019, 08:16

Something of an adjunct to the original post since the author, Kirk Tuck, very successfully earns his living through portrait photography. He is the only professional that I know of who documents his working life in such detail and regularity. Invariably there is something new each time I visit. I am still not sure how he finds the time. In thes post, he talks about maintaining motivation after 30 years of commercial photography.

https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2 ... maybe.html
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 16:38
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 08 Nov 2019, 08:20

A different take on running a photography business which looks at the psychology behind producing images for which someone will actually want to pay. I am guessing that it takes a fair bit of experience and work to reach the stage when someone can be confident in their abilities.

https://petapixel.com/2019/11/07/the-pr ... ife-cycle/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu 09 Apr 2015, 09:48

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Iggy » Fri 08 Nov 2019, 10:34

Derek Forss is a successful landscape photographer who has a thriving business.
He is presenting The hidden art of landscape and architectural photography on 24 November 2019 at 10:00 - 16:00.
Unfortunately it is near Nottingham.
http://rps.org/events/2019/november/24/a-day-with-derek-forss-talking-about-his-photowalks
Hopefully he might do this presentation in London sometime.
Derek did give a presentation at our CCC a year ago that I rather enjoyed.
Check out: Olympus Photowalk with Derek - 5. Kinder Scout as an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZooLZTwn2s
Mike Farley
Posts: 6587
Joined: Tue 11 Sep 2012, 16:38
Contact:

Re: How to start a Landscape Photography Business

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 08 Nov 2019, 11:17

In recent years Derek has been leading photographic tours for HF Holidays. Looking at what is currently scheduled for next year, I see that he co-leading a tour in the Glen Coe area in April if ayone wants an extended period of guidance. Or is simply looking for a photographic holiday in an attractive part of the world, regardless of who is leading it. It is a useful way to learn what is avaiable in the area:

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/holidays-a ... y-glen-coe

Other HF Holidays concentrating on landscape photography are available and offer good value compared to some companies:

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/special-in ... hotography

Derek also has his YouTube channel, which requires limited investment of time and no financial outlay:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCATkct ... 0j72haRs2g
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 1 guest