SPA Image Entry Review?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Rose

Re: SPA Image Entry Review?

Postby Rose » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 12:36

The boundaries are being pushed increasingly by more and more digital manipulation. Whilst I don't necessarily dislike or disapprove, I do think it's time for a new category of digital art. Traditional, competent photography is being left behind and can no longer compete.
Last edited by Rose on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 13:07

Rose wrote:The boundaries are being pushed increasingly by more and more digital manipulation. Whilst I don't necessarily dislike or disapprove, think it's time for a new category of digital art. Traditional, competent photography is being left behind and can no longer compete.

That was my initial view when I was discussing this with Clive Tanner. However, at the end of my review I was given a copy of the 2015 Yorkshire Salon catalogue to show examples of what is considered good photography. While there are a lot of images which are clearly combinations of two or more shots, there is a lot of straight work as well with varying degrees of post capture manipulation.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 13:24

Mike Farley wrote:
Rose wrote:The boundaries are being pushed increasingly by more and more digital manipulation. Whilst I don't necessarily dislike or disapprove, think it's time for a new category of digital art. Traditional, competent photography is being left behind and can no longer compete.

That was my initial view when I was discussing this with Clive Tanner. However, at the end of my review I was given a copy of the 2015 Yorkshire Salon catalogue to show examples of what is considered good photography. While there are a lot of images which are clearly combinations of two or more shots, there is a lot of straight work as well with varying degrees of post capture manipulation.

It would be interesting to see this...
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 14:16

Rose wrote:It would be interesting to see this...

Your wish etc. courtesy of a quick Google - http://www.yorkshiresalon.co.uk/gallery/gallery.html
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 20:32

Thanks Mike :)
Rose
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 23 Mar 2016, 20:04

My commitment is that I will post each image with background information about how I obtained it, including technical details. Where appropriate, I will describe my post capture processing.

Hello Mike,
I have been distracted with setting up my home office over the last couple of weeks but it is more or less done now.
Just got to try and remember my ccc password now for the large AIO with Photo Shop 6 installed.

I have only just seen the topic and have not had time to read through all the posts.
Over the next few days, I am looking forward to going through all the images that you have posted on Image Critique and hope to learn from them.

Thanks,
Iggy

Return to “General”