SPA Image Entry Review?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Ronald Barker

Re: SPA Image Entry Review?

Postby Ronald Barker » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 13:51

I am quite happy to start the ball rolling, as I have not entered the SPA I have posted another image I took last year.
Your comments welcome.
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 10 Mar 2016, 01:55

Unfortunately I can't see the image :(
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 10 Mar 2016, 08:41

davidc wrote:Unfortunately I can't see the image :(

Ron posted it in the Image Critique forum.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2047

As I stated at last night's club meeting, I am only prepared to contribute my own images to this exercise if there are sufficient people prepared to participate. So far, three people have said they would like to do so, although I am looking for a minimum of six. So far, SPA has been frustratingly slow in publishing all the marks and has only announced those for the images it has accepted into the exhibition. However, I picked up most* of my unsuccessful prints prints last night and it is clear that I have quite a range of marks. I entered 12 images, of which half were accepted and this would give an excellent basis for discussion from which people can learn what what distinguishes a good shot from something more ordinary. Personally, I think that this is an exceptional offer on my part and I am at a loss to understand the lack of interest from other members.

* One of my pictures is AWOL as two prnts submitted by members were mistakenly put into Brighton's** box for return. Perhaps they have gone away for a dirty weekend? ;)

** Yes, Brightion is now in Surrey, at least for photographic purposes as there is no PAGB region for either half of Sussex.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Thu 10 Mar 2016, 09:54

I agree that it is good discipline for people to learn how to critique both their own and other people's images as it helps their development as photographers, but my reservation about this exercise is that there's no real threshold between 'good' and 'bad images, only a range of scores. And we will have no idea what it was about an image that resulted in the judges awarding it 11 and another 10. And therefore one being accepted and the other just missing. It doesn't make one image 'good' and the other 'bad'. My experience of the PAGB day - and of discussions in the PAGB page on FaceBook make it clear that where judges have only a few seconds to decide on an image it is ALL about immediate impact. They do not have the time to take in more subtle images, regardless of how good they are. Rod Wheelans said exactly that about one of mine. :(

I've booked a 1:1 PAGB advisory at the Photography Show and am taking 16 DPIs. I understand Mike has also booked a slot. We will at least get some feedback on these images which, if we can make notes, or remember what was said ( :? ) will provide more context.
Rose
davidb

Postby davidb » Thu 10 Mar 2016, 10:27

Rose wrote:I've booked a 1:1 PAGB advisory at the Photography Show and am taking 16 DPIs. I understand Mike has also booked a slot. We will at least get some feedback on these images which, if we can make notes, or remember what was said ( :? ) will provide more context.

Take a recording device!
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 10 Mar 2016, 12:26

Rose wrote:I agree that it is good discipline for people to learn how to critique both their own and other people's images as it helps their development as photographers, but my reservation about this exercise is that there's no real threshold between 'good' and 'bad images, only a range of scores.

In this instance, the threshold is accepted and rejected, with a 50:50 split in respect of my images. Very often it can just be small differences between the two and understanding this can help people progress. As much as anything, that is what this exercise is about.

Rose wrote:..... we will have no idea what it was about an image that resulted in the judges awarding it 11 and another 10. And therefore one being accepted and the other just missing.

I cannot say too much at the moment as I do not want to set expectations, but I have a plan to to address this. I am reluctant to act on it unless there is the requisite support from within the club.
Regards

Mike Farley
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 10:23

If it would be helpful, I'm willing to share the feedback I received yesterday at my PAGB advisory session. I took 16 images and got a wide range of feedback from a frank 'no' to an instant 'yes'. Including some suggestions on tweaking individual images to improve their chances of success.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 10:57

Rose wrote:If it would be helpful, I'm willing to share the feedback I received yesterday at my PAGB advisory session. I took 16 images and got a wide range of feedback from a frank 'no' to an instant 'yes'. Including some suggestions on tweaking individual images to improve their chances of success.

Rose

That's a generous offer and I would certainly like to find out how you got on. Should there be sufficient espressions interest, I would be willing to add a summary of my own review, which included a few surprises. It concluded with a discussion about the standards of photography in the south east of the country, which are generally viewed as being lower than in other regions.
Regards

Mike Farley
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 11:32

Mike Farley wrote: It concluded with a discussion about the standards of photography in the south east of the country, which are generally viewed as being lower than in other regions.

Really ?! I wonder why ?
It will be interesting to see how I fare when I move to Somerset and join a club down there as I will probably re-use some images I've used in CCC comps over the last few years.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 20 Mar 2016, 11:58

Rose wrote:
Mike Farley wrote: It concluded with a discussion about the standards of photography in the south east of the country, which are generally viewed as being lower than in other regions.

Really ?! I wonder why ?

Basically, our shots tend to be technically competent but lack the wow factor others manage to achieve. I was discussing this with Clive Tanner, one of this year's SPA biennial judges, at the club meeting this week and having now seen part one of the first instalment of the exhibition I am in agreement. Even the top entries fell short and it is others who are pushing the boundaries of photography.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”