Is Micro Four Thirds Dead?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Paul Heester

Is Micro Four Thirds Dead?

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 26 Feb 2016, 14:50

Kai from DigitalRev has released an irreverant youtube video on his thoughts on the Micro Four Thirds format and its future (if it has one) :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLqxqWfWMQ
Mike Farley

Re: Is Micro Four Thirds Dead?

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 26 Feb 2016, 18:45

Paul Heester wrote:Kai from DigitalRev has released an irreverant youtube video on his thoughts on the Micro Four Thirds format and its future (if it has one) :?

Hmm, the argument is based on the m43 only being able to go to a mere 20 MP or so, which is no good for anyone of course. Why, that will only suffice for an A2 print before interpolation becomes necessary. Naturally that's assuming those abominably noisy sensors do not ruin the image altogether. How do people, including pros Steve Gosling and Damian McGillicuddy, manage? Olympus must pay those guys megabucks to compensate for using such shoddy equipment when they could have any camera they want. As for recently making a profit for the first time in years, Olympus is clearly cooking the books again. Still, owners such as myself do have the benefit of being hipsters, which is probably the first time anyone has ever called me that. :o

Interesting factoid number 1. Three of the four prints taken on my Olympus E-M10 which I submitted to the 2016 SPA Biennial Exhibition were accepted and two scored 12. Guess I was incredibly fortunate getting away with that. Just think if I had used a proper camera for everything. I would undoubtedly have walked away with all the trophies. ;)

Not that I would be able to carry them, my back having been worn out by lugging around all those proper lenses for the proper camera. :o

Interesting factoid number 2. At the start of the film Kai is shown in front of the Senate House in Cambridge, which is where the University awards its degrees. It is done by college with the oldest ones going first starting at the beginning of the week. Graduates of Emmanuel College, which was founded in 1584, receive their degrees on Friday afternoon. The whole ceremony is undertaken in Latin, except at the beginning when in English guests are told to turn off their mobile phones and informed that photography is not allowed. They obviously want people to understand that part. :?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 02:38

I like digital rev but have drifted away from them in recent months. It's odd that Kai is now seemingly permanently in Cambridge? According to reddit he was kicked out for working illegally, allegedly...

Based on their previous videos I suspect their real personal opinion isn't exactly what they describe in this video and it's designed to simply drive discussion & maintain traffic to their site. The article does raise some hugely interesting points though :)

I don't think the argument is based solely on the 20mp limit, although having more MP does mean more opportunity to crop, better detail/resolution etc. and the maximum size of prints is probably far less of a consideration for the majority of photographers who don't print :) Your success with the format doesn't mean the system isn't working for you of course but the argument that the single biggest appeal of the sensor size - the form factor - is now irrelevant because you can get better-in-all-aspects full frame sensors in the same format. It was always a tradeoff between weight/size & quality/performance. While I don't think the sky is falling in for the format yet, I did always think the format had a limited longevity and perhaps DRTV have a point that it may now be sooner rather than later before it's abandoned.

I'm not familiar with the pros you mention but if they are "Olympus ambassadors" then I'm sure they DO get paid a fair whack for their endorsement of the brand. If they don't then they are doing it wrong ;)

Did you not know that Olympus is (in)famous for being uber-hipster? I assumed that was a hidden reason you went for it :lol:

On a sort of related subject, how are you finding your experience with the Fuji vs Olympus?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 09:10

davidc wrote:It's odd that Kai is now seemingly permanently in Cambridge? According to reddit he was kicked out for working illegally, allegedly...

I, too, wondered why Kai was in Cambridge. For understandable reasons I had assumed he was a native of Kong Kong.

davidc wrote:Based on their previous videos I suspect their real personal opinion isn't exactly what they describe in this video and it's designed to simply drive discussion & maintain traffic to their site. The article does raise some hugely interesting points though :)

I don't think the argument is based solely on the 20mp limit, although having more MP does mean more opportunity to crop, better detail/resolution etc. and the maximum size of prints is probably far less of a consideration for the majority of photographers who don't print :) Your success with the format doesn't mean the system isn't working for you of course but the argument that the single biggest appeal of the sensor size - the form factor - is now irrelevant because you can get better-in-all-aspects full frame sensors in the same format. It was always a tradeoff between weight/size & quality/performance. While I don't think the sky is falling in for the format yet, I did always think the format had a limited longevity and perhaps DRTV have a point that it may now be sooner rather than later before it's abandoned.

Given Digital Rev's style, it is almost inevitable that this is deliberately provocative piece. For me the cropping argument is misguided, a proper photographer will get it right in camera, and as you say most people do not need that level of resolution, especially if they are not printing. While Sony has managed to produce some remarkably compact full frame bodies, there is not much they have been able to do in combating the laws of physics and the lenses are not that much smaller than those found on DSLRs. Most manufacturers who have introduced digital only systems have settled on APS-C and I suspect that is where the sweet spot lies. For a convenient walkaround camera, I am happy to accept the compromise of the smaller sensor, which does not really affect what I do. If Olympus can get its AF performing at DSLR levels, those diminutive telephoto lenses would have tremendous appeal to nature and sports photographers I suspect.

davidc wrote:I'm not familiar with the pros you mention but if they are "Olympus ambassadors" then I'm sure they DO get paid a fair whack for their endorsement of the brand. If they don't then they are doing it wrong ;)

I do not know about Gosling and McGillicuddy, but Joe Cornish is a Sony Ambassador on the sole basis that they supply him with kit. The last time I spoke to him a few months ago, rather surprisingly he was still waiting for an A7R II as Sony did not have sufficient available to provide him with one.

davidc wrote:Did you not know that Olympus is (in)famous for being uber-hipster? I assumed that was a hidden reason you went for it :lol:

Damn. Outed. :o

davidc wrote:On a sort of related subject, how are you finding your experience with the Fuji vs Olympus?

The Fuji is currently my go to camera, mainly because I like the image quality and 18-55 lens which covers the focal lengths I use most, although I do wish the f numbers were marked on the aperture ring as with Fuji's other lenses. Yes, I know it has a variable aperture, but it is a fly by wire system and I would understand that f/2.8 is not available at most focal lengths. It's a form of dumbing down. The X-Pro1 has a number of limitations in respect of usability, most of which appear to have been resolved in the X-Pro2 although I am not about to spring for one. For now I will work with the X-Pro1's shortcomings, which are not sufficiently severe to make me want to spend money. I like the Olympus for its tilting screen and touch focus/release which is great for street photography, although a swivelling screen would be preferable. The E-M10 on a wrist strap with optional grip and Panaleica 25 Summilux makes an excellent combination which was responsible for two of my successful SPA prints.

If I have one real complaint about the X-Pro1, it is the fragility of the rear screen. Mine has not been abused, but a number of light scratches have appeared, which is really not accepable given the original asking price and the supposedly pro spec.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 04:16

I think we need to agree-to-disagree that APS-C is the "best" and also on the "proper photographer's get in right in camera" ;)
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 08:11

davidc wrote:I think we need to agree-to-disagree that APS-C is the "best" and also on the "proper photographer's get in right in camera" ;)

Getting it right in camera, certainly. I am not against cropping to fine tune the composition, but delving deep into a high resolution image to find the picture is not what photography is about for me. I will accept that having a camera with a lot of megapixels is one way to achieve reach without the need for a powerful telephoto lens.

I did not say that APS-C is best, just that is where the optimum compromise between size, weight, price and performance seems to fall. It is good that we have the choice of formats to address different requirements.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 02 Mar 2016, 01:51

I feel a blog post coming on.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 02 Mar 2016, 09:47

davidc wrote:I feel a blog post coming on.

I look forward to it. Your blog has been far too quiet recently. I always find your views interesting, even if I do not always agree.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 04 Mar 2016, 01:35

Lots of stuff going on in the real world sadly. Although I've just completed a big new piece, have reviews of the 5DSR, 70-200 f/4 and 16-35 f/4 coming (as well as the RX1RII). Plus more guides. Plus general blog ramblings :)

If you could see behind the scenes I have about a dozen half-finished pages! March is going to be busy.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 04 Mar 2016, 08:07

davidc wrote:Lots of stuff going on in the real world sadly.

I suspected as much and your life is not about to get any less busy. In a good way. :)
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”