WIN 10 Warning

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Iggy

WIN 10 Warning

Postby Iggy » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 11:03

A couple off CCC members who installed the free WIN 10 upgrades that took several hours on their old computers have suffered severe problems afterwards when trying to use Photoshop. Their only solution was to uninstall WIN 10. Our IT department advised against installing WIN 10, which thankfully I abided by.
Iggy
Paul Heester

Re: WIN 10 Warning

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 15:58

As I work in IT Im often guided by "If it aint broke dont fix it" which has served me well :)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 03 Feb 2016, 18:30

Thanks Paul. Has anyone who has "upgraded" with WIN 10 to an old computer NOT had any problems?
Iggy
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Thu 04 Feb 2016, 08:39

What's WIN 10
Wally
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 04 Feb 2016, 08:49

I started a Windows 10 thread when it was first announced and advised caution when upgrading. It seems that it might still be worthwhile waiting until a bit nearer the July 29 deadline.

Sometimes the problem is not with the operating system, but applications which do not conform to Microsoft's standards. Neither does it help that Microsoft launched the OS without the usual candidate release stage to allow manufacturers to test their products beforehand. The last beta which came out two months or so before launch still had quite a few bugs. Does anyone know which version of Photoshop the members are using? I would have thought that the latest iterations of Adobe's applications would be OK by now, but there might be issues with older software. If that is the case, the only option could be an upgrade as the software is unsupported unless the fault lies with Microsoft.

There are so many combinations of hardware and software that it is impossible to test every configuration, so inevitably even a formal release of an operating system should be considered as a beta. Apple, which unike Microsoft has control of both hardware and operating system still manages to get it wrong. The first version of the El Capitan OSX upgrade managed to break Outlook, although I believe that has now been corrected. Given the ubiquity of Microsoft Office, I still wonder how that happened. Personally, I have stuck with the version of Yosemite which came with my MacBook although it should be safe by now to upgrade.

The other thing to note is that in the Home Premium version of Windows 10 Microsoft has removed the facility to choose when OS updates are applied as it wants home users to act as guinea pigs and test changes before they are issued to corporate customers. It is possible to get around this by specifying that the Internet link is metered. Google is your friend if you want to know more.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1631&p=8603&hilit=windows+10#p8603
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 04 Feb 2016, 11:13

walterconquy wrote:What's WIN 10
Wally

Something which as a Mac owner you do not have to be concerned about. As I noted above, Apple is more than capable of creating its own gotchas for its users.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”