Ansel Adams at the National Maritime Museum 9/11/12-28/4/13

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Ashley

Ansel Adams at the National Maritime Museum 9/11/12-28/4/13

Postby Ashley » Sat 29 Sep 2012, 09:04

Dear Sir / Madam,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am contacting you from the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich as we have an exhibition opening in November which I hope will be of great interest to your organisation and its members.

The show in question is Ansel Adams: Photography from the Mountains to the Sea, which opens on the 9th November and runs until the 28th April 2013. www.rmg.co.uk/AnselAdams

We are very proud to be able to host the work of such an iconic photographer at our museum and will present a unique focus on a rarely seen avenue of his work, his photography of water. Visitors will see over 120 iconic photographs of raging rivers, glacial mountains and sweeping landscapes through to placid lakes and streams, all in Adams’s classic style.

I would be very keen to explore any possibility of sending out information of this show to your members and I would be more than happy to provide any material you may be willing to take from us.

Also, should you wish to bring your group to see the exhibition we would be more than happy to offer a group rate discount for groups of 9 people or more at £5 per head, rather than the standard £7 adult admission.

I have attached some extra information for your consideration including our recent press release for the show and an expert from our What’s On guide.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

John French

John French
Marketing Officer

Royal Museums Greenwich

National Maritime Museum | Royal Observatory Greenwich | The Queen's House | Cutty Sark

direct +44 (0) 208 312 6797
Greenwich, London SE10 9NF

Book now for Ansel Adams: Photography from the Mountains to the Sea |
Mike Farley

Re: Ansel Adams at the National Maritime Museum 9/11/12-28/4

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:13

There is a lot to see and do in the Greenwich area, especially now the newly refurbished Cutty Sark has reopened. Does anyone fancy a trip there to take in the exhibition and grab some shots? It would be a good outing for the winter months.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Nina

Postby Nina » Sat 29 Sep 2012, 18:27

I would be up for it if the date was in November or later.
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:04

If it's a weekend - but not 10/11 Nov as it's hubby's 60th birthday !
Rose
gcluer

Postby gcluer » Sat 06 Oct 2012, 13:30

In theory, yes. Finding a suitable date might not be possible for me at the moment
sgillate

Postby sgillate » Sun 11 Nov 2012, 06:21

Yes Mike I would be interested in this.
Simon Gillate
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Mon 12 Nov 2012, 15:34

Hello each, it seems there is a special evening on Thursday 15th November when there is a jazz concert at the sammy ofer hall at the National Maritime Museum , which includes a visit round the exhibition as well for a £5 note. I will be going anybody want to do the same? Wally
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Fri 16 Nov 2012, 16:08

Last night I had a great experience. I went to see the Ansel Adams exhibition at the Maritime Museum. The pictures were his work on or around water, waterfalls,seas, lakes and rocks and debris on beaches and river banks.
There were about 120 photographs all monochromes. They showed pictures from when he took his first steps in photography when he was 16 yrs, old to just before he died. A few ' pictorialist ' ones a few of his extra large ones which he made by mounting them together to make a whole, about 2 meters square plus some ' Parmelian ' prints that he made into portfolios which he made as he was first starting out as a pro.
Then everybody went into a Jazz concert. Three groups and all extremely good in their own fashion. All had written music for the show which was heard for the first time. Apropos of nothing Ansel could have been a concert pianist if he had not been appalled by the music world of the time. He took up his second string and made a go of it. In later life he would compare music to photography.
The first group were fairly gentle but with a great swing,the Artie Zaitz trio, Zaitze on guitar,Nick Ereaut on bass fiddle, Moses Boyd on drums. The second group were actually a folk group, Sam Lee and Friends, but with jazz sounding affiliations, Cello, Japanese Koto (harp) & ukelele, Tabla, Percussion, Violin, and Singer Sam Lee played Jews Harp & Shruti Box.
The third group were my favourites James Morton on Saxophone with a rocking organist, guitar, and drummer. They were all great performers in their own right but Morton was a great entertainer also, very good sense of humour. The whole thing finished at 10pm. Shame none of you came. And all cost me was £4.
You must all see the photos. Not as extensive as the one in the 80's, which the club went to see enmasse , but still well worth getting out of your armchairs to see.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:17

Thanks for the update, Wally.

I'll be announcing a date to visit this exhibition and the surrounding area of Greenwich, which offers a lot of photo possibilities, for the new year.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Outings & Events”