David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

#184 - In The Frame

Postby davidc » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:21

Another selfie.
The reflected glow from the embossed golden lettering on the books really caught me eye and was totally unexpected so I decided to keep it in.

In The Frame - 184/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#185 - Storm in a Teacup

Postby davidc » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:21

Storm in a teacup... or as my wife said, a waste of perfectly good tea!

This was surprisingly difficult to setup/light and even now I'm not 100% happy but as is the case with all 365 images, the time available ultimately constrains how much I can experiment.

I took loads of shots without getting the swirl I wanted. In the end I needed to use cream so it retained the shape below the surface of the tea!

Key light is from above, YN560II on 1/32 power through a white umbrella and a full light on the floor, YN460 on 1/64 through an umbrella too.

Storm in a Teacup - 185/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: #184 - In The Frame

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 12:56

davidc wrote:Another selfie.
The reflected glow from the embossed golden lettering on the books really caught me eye and was totally unexpected so I decided to keep it in.

In The Frame - 184/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

Something wrong with this one, not scary at all! ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: #183 - Sensor Cleaning in Progress

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 13:04

davidc wrote:Haven't done a shot like this for a while so thought it'd be a bit of fun.

Shied away from doing it to my digital sensor though :)

Sensor Cleaning In Progress - 183/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

I appreciate the humour of this one, although knowing that it is a film camera takes the edge off a bit. A title along the lines of "upgrading to digital" might have worked better? That would appeal to the wonks who from time to time have their letters published in Amateur Photographer asking why they cannot have a drop in digital sensor to take the place of film in their cameras. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Re: #180 - Local Landmark

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 13:05

davidc wrote:Image
Local Landmark - 180/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

Nice and simple. Like it.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Re: #183 - Sensor Cleaning in Progress

Postby davidc » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 13:46

Mike Farley wrote:I appreciate the humour of this one, although knowing that it is a film camera takes the edge off a bit. A title along the lines of "upgrading to digital" might have worked better? That would appeal to the wonks who from time to time have their letters published in Amateur Photographer asking why they cannot have a drop in digital sensor to take the place of film in their cameras. ;)

I was originally going to photo my 550d but couldn't get the lighting right using the S100 so it somewhat forced my hand :) Also, I even put some film in there although it's only noticeable when compared to the shots of it without the film in there. So technically it IS sensor cleaning ;)
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 13:49

Mike Farley wrote:Nice and simple. Like it.

Must admit, feels like a filler shot to me though!

This is a prime example of what I've noticed doing this project, people like things in a totally different way to my expectation! That, and seeing the stuff you're doing is a surprise in terms of learning what kind of stuff appeals to you as a photographer as well. Even though I'm sure there are tons of pics we've taken that the other isn't that impressed with, simply seeing the kind of things that give rise to inspiration in other photographers is worth it.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 16:29

davidc wrote:
Mike Farley wrote:Nice and simple. Like it.

Must admit, feels like a filler shot to me though!

This is a prime example of what I've noticed doing this project, people like things in a totally different way to my expectation! That, and seeing the stuff you're doing is a surprise in terms of learning what kind of stuff appeals to you as a photographer as well. Even though I'm sure there are tons of pics we've taken that the other isn't that impressed with, simply seeing the kind of things that give rise to inspiration in other photographers is worth it.

Actually, I was mainly boosting my post count. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I have also noticed that some of my output on which I am less keen has been picked up by others. Against that, some stuff I like has been totally ignored. C'est la vie. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same way. For me, shooting every day has really benefitted my photography, which was one of the reasons for starting the project, and the experience will stand me in good stead.

Some things would have been shot anyway, but I have got plenty of images which I would not have otherwise attempted. For example, while Wells Cathedral has been on the "to do" list for some time, I would not have done so much street photography. Even those subjects which come most naturally to me have yielded more shots than I would otherwise have taken. Still life has been the one thing which I have tried and struggled with, but I have never had an affinity with that style of photography.

Also, having you doing the same thing has really helped. Not just for inspiration, either. I am not going to be the one who gives up first if I can possibly help it!
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 05 Jul 2013, 19:28

Mike Farley wrote:Seriously, I have also noticed that some of my output on which I am less keen has been picked up by others. Against that, some stuff I like has been totally ignored. C'est la vie. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same way. For me, shooting every day has really benefitted my photography, which was one of the reasons for starting the project, and the experience will stand me in good stead.

This is interesting, how do you feel it has benefited you? Because the only images I've seen of yours are your LRPS panel and some off your site, seeing the kind of stuff you've chosen to tackle daily over the last few months (and figuring out why in some cases ;)) has been quite the curiosity.

Also, having you doing the same thing has really helped. Not just for inspiration, either. I am not going to be the one who gives up first if I can possibly help it!

Oh don't worry, I won't be quitting ;) At least, not intentionally.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 06 Jul 2013, 09:32

davidc wrote:
This is interesting, how do you feel it has benefited you? Because the only images I've seen of yours are your LRPS panel and some off your site, seeing the kind of stuff you've chosen to tackle daily over the last few months (and figuring out why in some cases ;)) has been quite the curiosity.

In addition to my PAD output, you might have seen more of my other work than you realise. If you were at my recent presentations at the club on composition and infrared photography, there are around 100 photos in those two talks alone. There are also my contributions to the club's exhibitions. A low profile would well be the consequence of not bringing work to the club on a regular basis.

To answer your question fully, it would help to know what has made you curious. Are there any particular examples which you have in mind?

davidc wrote:
Oh don't worry, I won't be quitting ;) At least, not intentionally.

That's good to know. :D
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”