Suggested Outing - Faversham (17 May)

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Suggested Outing - Faversham (17 May)

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 21 Mar 2022, 08:56

In his most recent newsletter, Tom suggested that the club organise some outings and sought recommendations of places to visit. Faversham is within easy reach and has lots of interest, such as:

• Historic town centre
  • Standard Quay (park for free here while exploring the area)
  • Historic boats
  • Shepherd Neame brewery - tours available
  • Boat yards (Paul Mitchell spoke about this location in his presentation to the club a year or so back)
  • Marshes
  • Country parks
In short, there is lots to see and do.

What do people think?

https://www.visit-swale.co.uk/experienc ... faversham/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Canonballer

Re: Suggested Outing - Faversham

Postby Canonballer » Mon 21 Mar 2022, 13:06

Hi Mike,

I would probably be up for this. However, at present, I'm self-isolating with COVID, so I won't be available for a few more days, until I am testing negative once more! :cry: :roll:
Regards,

Dave Newman
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 21 Mar 2022, 17:26

Hi David

Sorry to hear about the Covid. Hope you will be out and about agin soon. At present, this is simply establishing how much interest there would be in such a trip and I doubt if anything will happen this side of Easter. If others have their own suggestions, we might have some options to consider.
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon 21 Mar 2022, 19:00

Hi Mike
I am interested in this trip.
Tina
toms

Postby toms » Tue 22 Mar 2022, 18:59

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion. Count me in but can I suggest it be in May or after?

That would give me an opportunity to return Steve Brooker's prints at the same time and he now lives next to a nature reserve I think.

Tom
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 23 Mar 2022, 17:39

One suggestion for the itinerary is a tour of the Shepherd Neame brewery which claims to be the oldest in the country. I have had an initial discussion with them and there is an option for a private visit. The idea is that there would be time for photographic opportunities that would not be possible on the standard tour. Bear in mind that it is a working environment so some areas would be off limits. Apparently, another camera club did something similar a few weeks ago which means that the brewery has experience of catering for photographers' needs. The tour would probably take two hours, to include a tasting. The basic cost is £126 for up to 7 people with each additional person costing £18.

If there is enough interest in the concept, I can take the next step to find out more details about a special photographic tour. It would be either in conjunction with other activities on a club trip to Faversham or as a separate outing on another day. So far as I know, the brewery operates on weekdays only so it would probably be preferable to make arrangements between Monday-Friday. To be worthwhile, I suggest that we have a minimum of 6 members participating.

Respond to this thread if interested or have any questions.

https://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/visitor ... wery-tours
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Thu 24 Mar 2022, 14:15

Mike

I would be interested in a trip to Faversham although I don't have transport.

The visit to the brewery is an option and I could be interested although not for the product(s).
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 27 Mar 2022, 09:03

Responses so far from those interested in the outing:

• David B
  • David N
  • Tina
  • Tom
So far, only David B has expressed support for a brewery tour but the others replied before I added it as an option. It would help if those other members could state their preference. To reiterate, to keep the cost per person equivalent to that of the normal tour, we need a minimum of six people. Once that figure is reached, I will discuss options in more detail with Shepherd Neame and update this thread accordingly. Once I have a better idea of what those going wish to do, I will propose a date for the outing and itinerary.
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Sun 27 Mar 2022, 10:44

Hi All
The tour of the brewery doesn't particularly appeal to me, but I would come along to make up the numbers if necessary.
Also I will be away from 1st June until 16th June. Other than that I have no plans at present.
Many thanks
Tina
Mike Farley

Re: Suggested Outing - Faversham (26 May)

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 29 Mar 2022, 16:31

UPDATE

I have provisionally booked a private tour of the Shepherd Neame brewery for 26 May at 14:00. They are aware that this is a camera club visit and that we will be taking photographs. It is a working environment but based on my discussion with them, we should have good access for the majority of the tour. We will be able to see the copper machine where the hops are added, although health and safety requirements prevent visitors from approaching closely. I imagine most of us will be shooting with zoom lenses so it will be possible to get a shot.

In order to finalise the arrangements, I need to know how many people wish to go on the tour. This has to be a firm commitment to the financial outlay as I shall be paying a non refundable deposit in the next few days to secure the booking. The minimum number to make it a viable proposition is six people at a cost of £21 each. If we have seven or more participating, the cost per head drops to £18.

Can those who wish to go on the brewery tour confirm by Wednesday, 6 April. Either a response to this thread or an e-mail to Tom or myself will be sufficient.

So far, members who have expressed an interest in the Faversham trip are:

• David B
  • David N
  • Mike F (me!)
  • Ron B
  • Tina
  • Tom
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Outings & Events”