The Past Re-Lived, October 2021 - Iggy Tavares

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Iggy

The Past Re-Lived, October 2021 - Iggy Tavares

Postby Iggy » Fri 05 Nov 2021, 18:07

CROYDON - Our Home Town - Iconic Street Art
Features that appeared in Your Community News of the Croydon Advertiser News Paper

Croydon town centre, which is in decline, has several unoccupied offices and shops where their outer walls are the perfect canvas for world renowned artists.
These included Phlegm, Hayley Welsh, David Hollier, Wumi Olasosebikan - Missing a friend, Otto Schade - Her Hometown, Dan Kitchener - Electric-City, Dotmaster, Schoony, SickBoy, Rich Simmons, RUN and others.
Here, I am limited to just three images.
Attachments
4-Wumi  Olaosebikan - Missing a Friend - Iggy Tavares 800x.jpg
4-Wumi Olaosebikan - Missing a Friend - Iggy Tavares 800x.jpg (112.54 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
2- Otto Schade - Her Hometown - Iggy Tavares STR 800x.jpg
2- Otto Schade - Her Hometown - Iggy Tavares STR 800x.jpg (108.96 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
6 -Dan Kitchner - Electric-City - Iggy Tavares STR-2 600x.jpg
6 -Dan Kitchner - Electric-City - Iggy Tavares STR-2 600x.jpg (128.24 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
Iggy

Re: The Past Re-Lived, October 2021 - Iggy Tavares

Postby Iggy » Sat 06 Nov 2021, 12:31

CROYDON - Our Home Town - Veterans London to Brighton Car Run
Features that appeared in Your Community News of the Croydon Advertiser News Paper

This run started at Hyde Park took place on the first Sunday in November 2019.
Fortunately, they pass through Norbury where I set up to take some photographs of Wolseley, Benz, Mors, Darracq and more, from the pre-1905 era.

Images below: 1902 Panhard Levassor & 1901 Mors, 1899 Benz, Over-heated 1902 Panhard-Levassor.

This year's car run is tomorrow, Sunday 7 November and passes close to where some of us live.
https://www.veterancarrun.com/2021-entry-list

Look out for the electric engined 066 1902 Columbia that is due to run tomorrow.
Attachments
1Xxy-The Race - 1902 Panhard Levassor & 1901 Mors.jpg
1Xxy-The Race - 1902 Panhard Levassor & 1901 Mors.jpg (123.14 KiB) Viewed 3348 times
2Xx-Yellow wheels 1899 Benz  - Iggy Tavares.jpg
2Xx-Yellow wheels 1899 Benz - Iggy Tavares.jpg (125 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
4Xx-Over-heated 1902 Panhard-Levassor  - Iggy Tavares.jpg
4Xx-Over-heated 1902 Panhard-Levassor - Iggy Tavares.jpg (149.6 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 07 Nov 2021, 15:01

Iggy wrote:Look out for the electric engined 066 1902 Columbia that is due to run tomorrow.[/color]

A good reminder from Iggy about this year's Veteran Car Run. We were fortunate with the weather on this occasion; usually it is windy, cold and overcast, threatening to rain if it is not already doing so. I had already had plans to shoot the event and spotted the electric car as it passed through Earlswood just south of Reigate.

Electric.jpg
Veteran electric car
Electric.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Sun 07 Nov 2021, 18:46

Mike wrote:
I already had plans to shoot the event and spotted the electric car as it passed through Earlswood just south of Redhill.

Thanks Mike.
Well done in capturing that nice image of the electric car.
I started at 8 am in Norbury and either missed it because it had already gone through or it was on the alternate route.

Looking through my images, I decided to feature Interactions.
So the first one is - Having a Chat.
The second is - Push Please.
Attachments
1-Having a Chat - Veteran Cars 800.jpg
1-Having a Chat - Veteran Cars 800.jpg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
1-Push - Veteran Cars 800.jpg
1-Push - Veteran Cars 800.jpg (165.9 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 08:25

Iggy wrote:Well done in capturing that nice image of the electric car.

Thanks, Iggy.

Iggy wrote:I started at 8 am in Norbury and either missed it because it had already gone through or it was on the alternate route.

According to the LBVCR website, the alternate route is for support vehicles. As I recall, the participants have to follow the official route to qualify as finishers* and there are various checkpoints along the way to ensure adherence. The electric car almost certainly went past where you were standing but It can be very difficult to spot particular vehicles, especially when they are in groups.

* I have a story from my own experience when I took part in the run to tell about that. Maybe when I have a bit more time to write it up.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 11:12

Mike said:
* I have a story from my own experience when I took part in the run to tell about that. Maybe when I have a bit more time to write it up.

I look forward to hearing your story Mike.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 15:13

CROYDON - Our Home Town - Diwali Mela at Fairfield Halls

Diwali, Festival of Lights, Reception & Mela, October 2019 was celebrated in the Arnhem Foyer, Fairfield Halls.
Some one thousand guest enjoyed the Indian classical music sitar recital followed by the choir group singing some beautiful harmonies.
The audience came alive to the traditional dancing by several troupes in colourful attire for an evening to remember.
Attachments
2x - Dancing Troupe-1 Sangeetha UK - Iggy Tavares 800.jpg
2x - Dancing Troupe-1 Sangeetha UK - Iggy Tavares 800.jpg (118.01 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
6x -NAPS South London Ladies Dancing - Iggy Tavares 800.jpg
6x -NAPS South London Ladies Dancing - Iggy Tavares 800.jpg (135.03 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
1x - Vande Mataram Choir group - 800.jpg
1x - Vande Mataram Choir group - 800.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 19:01

Mike Farley wrote:
Iggy wrote:I started at 8 am in Norbury and either missed it because it had already gone through or it was on the alternate route.

According to the LBVCR website, the alternate route is for support vehicles. As I recall, the participants have to follow the official route to qualify as finishers and there are various checkpoints along the way to ensure adherence. The electric car almost certainly went past where you were standing but It can be very difficult to spot particular vehicles, especially when they are in groups.

Iggy was right and the official route does split going through London, reuniting just north of Croydon. I misinterpreted the route guide when I looked at the LBVCR webiste. Apologies to Iggy who took the trouble to point out my error privately.

Presumably it is done to prevent a build up of traffic on the busier sections of the course, although I think that it might be a pity for those who took the alternate route over Lambeth Bridge. Especially this year, when entries seemed to be lower than usual, most likely in part due to fewer numbers of foreign cars on account of Covid. Until I experienced it for myself, I had not appreciated just how spectacular the first mile or so of the run is. Setting off from Hyde Park, going into Hyde Park Corner past Wellington Arch, then onto Constitution Hill processing past Buckingham Palace before Birdcage Walk leads onto the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Bridge. True, most of that is the same for everyone but I wonder if heading south over Lambeth Bridge is quite the same? Admittedly, it gets a bit more humdrum on reaching Lambeth. Except for the thrill of travelling in a veteran car, of course.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 21:03

Veterans London to Brighton Car Run
Mike wrote:
Iggy was right and the official route does split going through London, reuniting just north of Croydon. I misinterpreted the route guide when I looked at the LBVCR webiste.
Apologies to Iggy who took the trouble to point out my error privately.

Hi Mike,
Thanks, but no apology is required. I sent you the details of the route privately for your own information.
Checking my images, 90% of the first cars numbered 001 to 100 had already gone through by the time I came out just after 8 am.
So, I am none the wiser whether the electric car, 1902 Columbia 066 went through Norbury or not!
Interestingly, the last car that I shot at 10.02 am because it was having problems was was 073, the De Dion Bouton needing a push!

Mike wrote:
Until I experienced it for myself, I had not appreciated just how spectacular the first mile or so of the run is.

Good to hear of your experiences of travelling in a Veteran Car on the London to Brighton run.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 09 Nov 2021, 08:36

Iggy wrote:Checking my images, 90% of the first cars numbered 001 to 100 had already gone through by the time I came out just after 8 am.

The cars set off in order of age, with the oldest departing first at sunrise from Hyde Park. Since they travel at different speeds, inevitably after a short while they will not be in their original sequence. It is a run rather than a parade and everyone is left to their own devices. Then are breakdowns to take in account; every vehicle is well over 100 years old so reliability is always an issue. When I took part, I saw the first car stopped by the roadside within the first mile. Further along, the driver of my car stopped at Purley to attend to another of his vehicles being driven by someone else that had come to a halt with a broken manifold. While I was there, one participant stopped and pulled out of the run. He knew that his car would not make it to Brighton but took part every year just to see how far he would get.

The first vehicle I saw was a tricycle that was a long way ahead of anything else. The driver was really gunning it and I suspect that he was aiming to be the first to arrive in Brighton. There are no prizes for finishing order and participants only have to complete the course by sunset to qualify as a finisher. Nevertheless, there is still a competitive streak for some. As I was not yet in position to get a shot, I did not see the number of the tricycle.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”