POTW 20 December 2020 - New and Newer

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

POTW 20 December 2020 - New and Newer

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 03 Jan 2021, 19:08

I have not been iinto the centre of Croydon for some months so walked in one morning to see what has been happening since my last visit. The building under construction is new housing on the site where Croydon Council's offices formerly stood. They are now located in Bernard Weatherill House which is behind. All verticals have been corrected.

Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: POTW 20 December 2020 - New and Newer

Postby davidb » Sun 03 Jan 2021, 19:58

Mike Farley wrote: All verticals have been corrected.

Bernard Weatherill House still seems to be leaning?
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Jan 2021, 13:56

davidb wrote:Bernard Weatherill House still seems to be leaning?

You are probably right. I corrected the perspective in Lightroom using the Transform Auto setting which did a reasonably good job. Subsequently I have tried the Vertical and Guided options but they do not seem quite right. I have also experimented with a small rotational shift but the verticals are just sufficiently out of alignment with each other to make it impossible to get everything spot on. Yes, Photoshop is an option but, for me at least, not worth the effort for an image which I am unlikely to take further.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 04 Jan 2021, 23:59

Mike

Taking a second look at the image I wonder if my previous comment was warranted.

If you look at the winders in Bernard Weatherill House there does seem to be a lean at the top. The windows starting from the top do seem to have different widths from those above and below.

Perhaps a visit to the site might settle the question.
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 05 Jan 2021, 09:28

davidb wrote:If you look at the winders in Bernard Weatherill House there does seem to be a lean at the top. The windows starting from the top do seem to have different widths from those above and below.

Yes, the Fell Road side of Bernard Weatherill House does lean outwards, the only aspect of the building which has this feature. Part of my reason for taking the shot was the contrast between the two edifices. One under construction with conventional vertical sides, the other completed and with an angled flank.

davidb wrote:Perhaps a visit to the site might settle the question.

There is no need. The first image on the section of the architect's website featuring the building is taken from a similar direction as mine and shows the lean, as do some of the other illustrations.

https://www.epr.co.uk/projects/architec ... ill-house/
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”