PAD 3

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

PAD 3

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 03 Jan 2013, 14:27

Day 3 and today's image has a more personal connection than previously. A couple of years ago my daughter received a junior fellowship to undertake research at the Library of Congress, Washington DC. This meant that she would be away over the Xmas period and unable to be with us. Since 1981 the White House Historical Association has issued an annual Christmas Tree ornament, which in recent years has honoured a past US president and an event which took place during their time in the White House. It has become a tradition for those working in Washington away from their families to send an ornament home and ours now takes its place on our tree every year.

For those interested, it is the 2010 ornament which recalls 25th US President William McKinley and the annual Army Naval Reception held at the White House in 1900. McKinley's presidency was cut short a few months later when he was shot by an assassin six months after his second term commenced.

One of my objectives during the year is to try different styles of photography and still life is not something I have done before. This subject seemed to be as good a place to start as any and as the tree is coming down in the next day or two it was now or December if I was going to include it in my PAD. ;) One decision to be made was whether the ornament should be sharp front to back. I concluded that having part of it out of focus added to the feeling of depth as I wanted a bit more than a straight record shot. For that reason, I took it an angle rather than head on. I used a white reflector to lighten the left hand side and also had to do some pruning to have just enough of the tree's branches in the foreground. I later removed the bit of foliage at bottom right, but the image seemed that bit flatter without it.
Attachments
Ornament.jpg
White House 2010 Christmas Tree Ornament
Ornament.jpg (153.45 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Nina

Re: PAD 3

Postby Nina » Thu 03 Jan 2013, 20:05

Well done for undertaking this ambitious project Mike. Thanks for sharing the journey with us.
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
Mike Farley

Re: PAD 3

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 04 Jan 2013, 00:18

Thanks, Nina. Posting here is one of the things which I hope will help keep me on track. :)

I also hope that it will maintain the interest of others and maybe people can learn from my experiences as I go along.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Photo Sharing”