Brecon Beacons & PS Content Aware function

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Paul Heester

Brecon Beacons & PS Content Aware function

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 10 Oct 2014, 20:16

The below shot was of Sgwd Ddwli Uchaf waterfall on our recent Brecon Beacons trip. The reason for posting is that I decided to use Photoshops "Content Aware" option and it was extremely impressive. In the top left hand corner Keith had setup his tripod but I liked the swirling leaves so decided to take the shot anyway. I found using Content Aware has done a great job of removing him (sorry Keith!) and also an old bit of blue rope also in the scene. Has anyone else used this option and was it successful?

Keith.PNG
Keith.PNG (229.79 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

ImageSgwd Ddwli Uchaf by Paul Heester, on Flickr
davidb

Re: Brecon Beacons & PS Content Aware function

Postby davidb » Sat 11 Oct 2014, 05:17

Has anyone else used this option and was it successful?

I've not used it but it's certainly worth a serious look.

And I can see what you mean about the swirling leaves - I like it [where's the LIKE button?]. I think it's a winner although I might have cropped a little more off the top!!
Regards

David A Beard.
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Sat 11 Oct 2014, 16:59

With the amount of shots you got David with photographers in you could test this function and try to remove us!! And if you are on Flickr you can always add it to your favourites ;)
davidb

Postby davidb » Sun 12 Oct 2014, 05:00

Yes I could remove the other members of the group but then that would defeat the purpose of taking the photographs in the first place! The function looks very much like cloning (I can see where PS cloned to cover up Kieth).

And yes I ought to put some of my shots on flickr. I'll take a look and see if there are any worthwhile.
Regards

David A Beard.
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 12 Oct 2014, 17:23

We appear to have differing definitions of "successful". ;)

Not using Photoshop, I haven't used Content Aware Fill specifically, but I do sometimes use equivalent functionality (and have seen the results of CAF).

It can be fine in simple situations - basically where the task is nothing more than cloning/etc and there's no real decisions to make - but for anything remotely non-trivial it is not a substitute for a human doing it properly.

Why? Because a human can read a scene and know what fits / looks right, and someone who was at the location can know what was obscured - both are things that these algorithms currently lack, and cannot reliably infer from a single non-patterened image.
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 12 Oct 2014, 17:33

Paul Heester wrote:With the amount of shots you got David with photographers in you could test this function and try to remove us!!

Reminds me of Garfield minus Garfield - a site that re-posts the original comic but with the cat removed...
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 12 Oct 2014, 19:27

My experience of the Content Aware functions is much like Peter's. Sometimes it is very good and although a similar result could have been obtained using the Clone or standard Heal tools, it can be much quicker. Then are times when it makes a complete klartz of the task and picks up artefacts which are not required, which is fair enough, it is only an algorithm after all. If using the Spot Healing brush, it can be better to remove the unwanted element in small chunks, rather than in one go. Sometimes I extend the canvas to alter the composition and use Content Aware Fill to fill in the blank area, with varying degrees of success. I could also use Content Aware Scale to do something similar. As often happens with Photoshop, there is frequently more than one way to achieve a result.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Photo Sharing”