Adding text to images

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Adding text to images

Postby davidc » Mon 29 Oct 2012, 17:50

I've been working on a project where I present a series of photos and wanted to work on a consistent theme to how I present the title for each of them - it'll mainly be on here & Flickr, culminating in a photobook perhaps - but I did have a question. Here is an example of what I mean -

Happy New Year by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

The image is not what I'm concerned about here particularly, it's the text. I've tried to go for an understated size and font and would have this motif running throughout the series. Getting to my question, how would an image be received if it did have the title text like this included?

I'd be printing the image, if that has any bearing. Don't think they'd work so well in DPI.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Adding text to images

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 29 Oct 2012, 18:54

I can see that you want to push the boundaries of camera club photography. ;)

Adding a caption would certainly be unusual, but if it added to the overall image just possibly it would be accepted. Trouble is, I cannot think of any of the few pictures where there has been a caption on the mount where the comment has not been adverse. Neither can I recall any photo where a text has been incorporated where it was not in the original scene, so I know of no precedent for what you are proposing. I guess that the reason why no one has done it is that it is very difficult to do without spoiling the aesthetics of the image or making it look like a greetings card.

If you do add a caption, it must not identify you as the photographer as all images are judged on an anonymous basis.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: Adding text to images

Postby davidc » Tue 30 Oct 2012, 08:17

Cheers - you've basically summarised my fears about how it'd be received :) At least I'm learning!

I'll post my ideas here first I think. Entering them into a competition isn't even the primary goal really, it's more a "if I was desperate" I guess. I suppose should the image be strong enough I could simply remove the text.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”