David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Re: David's Project 365

Postby davidc » Fri 25 Jan 2013, 10:29

While typing the essay above I was trying to think of an example of what I meant and typically it came to me after I posted.

A few months ago you photographed chairs with raindrops on, I think from outside a café? You didn't sculpt/build the chair. You didn't even put the raindrops on it. You could have taken a plain, boring shot of the chair - clearly you're image isn't trying to say "I made this chair, check it out" but it'd take some pretty fabulous lighting and framing to turn a boring old café chair into an interesting picture! Instead, you saw and chose to focus on a different view of the chair to turn something boring into something interesting. Essentially, this is no different to taking a photo of a sculpture in the Tate Modern, or the lions in Trafalgar Sq. The resulting image is fundamentally more pleasing than the source material and in that case as a photographer you added more.

If you have no objections maybe you could post it? I can't remember where it was posted!

Looking at mine, I don't think I added as much as you did - though it was specifically not my intent to add much at all - but I followed the same thought process and made the decision to present it in a way designed to maximise it's appeal as a photograph (I wasn't content with taking a "simple" record shot). I could have included the car park, the rest of the building, the builders at the nearby burger van. I could have chosen not to increase saturation to bring the colours out because it was such a crappy day. In the end I took the shot that I think would present the subject in the most appealing way, exactly the same as you did, but limited my interpretation to "I think this is really cool, framed it the best I can, check it out before it disappears" because in this case the subject itself didn't need that kind of input from the photographer.

(for the record, I think your chair shot was more interesting than mine yesterday ;))

I really now need to get some work done ;)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 25 Jan 2013, 11:20

I too have been thinking more about this and agree with most of what you say. Certainly taking someone's artwork and passing it off as your own is theft, but graffiti raises a different issue. The work is in a public place, so the artist is effectively saying that he is not exerting any rights over it. Think about Banksy, who gives his images away and it is others who are profiting from them. I wish he would daub on my wall!

From a photographic perspective, we are faced with a number of options and any approach we take is valid. That is what I meant by there being no right or wrong. Other than your picture, I do not know the piece in question and there might be some misassumptions on my part, so what follows is general rather than specific to this case. As you say, there are plenty of other manmade as well as natural subjects which we can photograph and much the same will apply to those as well.

The first option is to make a straight record shot. Some creative decisions will be made, such as lighting and framing, but mainly the photographer's input is technical - getting the focus and exposure right. Quite often, an artwork will cover a large area and will have several components of which the photographer might choose to show only some. By selecting just a part, the photographer is demonstrating their own viewpoint.

Does the shot have to be taken straight on? Shooting it from an angle might give it a different perspective and show the work in a way which the original artist had not thought about. Perhaps a more general view showing the work in its context will add something and express the photographer's interpretation. It's public art, so maybe include someone interacting (or not) with it to produce something new and unique. How about a blurred image of a sprinter dashing past, for example? The variations are endless.

This is where the photographer's own creativity comes more into play and the imbalance with the artist starts to even out. To come back to the Usain Bolt image, you saw it in a particular way and made a decision about how you wished to portray it. Moreover, you have gone further than most and taken some effort to acknowledge the artist. Well done, I say.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

#25 - The New & The Old

Postby davidc » Fri 25 Jan 2013, 21:57

My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#26 - A Romantic Stroll

Postby davidc » Sat 26 Jan 2013, 17:23

Sometimes you need to take time out from life and just go for a walk with the people you love.

Strobist - YN490 @ 1/8th, 20cm above and to camera left, bare flash to try to get it looking more like sunlight :)

(finding the best angle for this was really challenging, not to mention the optimal DOF and lighting... but fun :D)

http://500px.com/photo/24200757
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 26 Jan 2013, 18:45

I worry for you. :mrgreen:
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Sun 27 Jan 2013, 20:39

A busy day today, tons of jobs to get done. The original plan was to take photo(s) of the cakes I've baked for work (long story) but the outcome wasn't particularly inspiring. Looked too much like iphoneography crap.
We also experimented with making our own sushi - tons of fun btw, try it - and holding up the seaweed to the light gave me the idea of taking as detailed a macro shot as I could. Here's the result!

I know macro images like this are "marmite shots" but I think the detail and texture in here is pretty cool.

Strobist - YN490 @ minimum power, 10cm away from and shooting through the sheet of seaweed, backlighting it.

Seaweed - 27/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

http://500px.com/photo/24316289
My Top 50 album is here
Nina

Postby Nina » Sun 27 Jan 2013, 21:05

Well David, I like it! Makes an excellent abstract. :D
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
davidc

#28 - Burnout

Postby davidc » Mon 28 Jan 2013, 22:24

I had hoped today would be a good day for photos - I had bits and pieces for 3 or 4 different shots and started setting them up. Not a single one worked so I had to fall back onto a desperate measures shot that I wasn't even sure would work and I only had three attempts. The first two were utter failures... the third worked. Almost.

It's getting to be really hard trying to do new, interesting and decent quality pictures every day. This isn't brilliant - it's proven the concept at least - but for today it'll have to do.

So burnout is probably an apt title.

Burnout - 28/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

http://500px.com/photo/24426087
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: #28 - Burnout

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 28 Jan 2013, 23:49

davidc wrote:It's getting to be really hard trying to do new, interesting and decent quality pictures every day.

Fully concur on that. It doesn't help that the weather is not that inspiring at present as it limits the opportunities for the type of outdoor shots I like doing.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 29 Jan 2013, 09:27

How about wildlife in the woods, how about making a hide and sticking some food out and seeing what comes along?
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”