David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: David's Project 365

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 29 Apr 2013, 18:18

Peter Boughton wrote:Heh, I find the strip lights on the left more of a distraction than the bottom right corner.

I had seen those, but correctly reckoned that Dave would object to toning anything down, so went for the one I considered to be most critical. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 30 Apr 2013, 11:14

Haha although I definitely DO value the input (and wouldn't want you to not say what you think) for the striplights IMO you're flat out wrong and though I'll tone the corner down at some stage I think it'll lead to a big, dark void bottom right.

Artistic disputes are fine :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 02 May 2013, 11:10

This isn't a "normal" picture but instead a refractograph - I took the lens off my camera then shone a light at one of our crystal glasses. The pattern is the light that refracted through the glass and onto the sensor!

I'd seen someone who has spent far more time practicing this than I and his results are considerably better, but as an exercise for a few hours it was quite interesting.

Given how random the outcome was I'm not sure if I'll worry about doing it again though!

SOOC, not even a whiff of Photoshop!

Refractograph - 120/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#121 - Dandelion Dew

Postby davidc » Thu 02 May 2013, 11:12

Hardest part of this shot was finding a dandelion at this time of year :)

Strobist - YN560II gelled half with orange and half pink (WB tweaked too) feather-bounced off a white card back. 5cm distance from background to subject, 10cm flash to background

Dandelion Dew - 121/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 02 May 2013, 11:14

Also added day 116, I just have my refractography efforts and the model shoot photos to filter down to and I've caught up.

#120 - refractograph added.
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 02 May 2013, 16:59

Nice effect and definitely experimental. Im feeling nostalgic for Star Trek TNG for some reason ;)

davidc wrote:This isn't a "normal" picture but instead a refractograph - I took the lens off my camera then shone a light at one of our crystal glasses. The pattern is the light that refracted through the glass and onto the sensor!

I'd seen someone who has spent far more time practicing this than I and his results are considerably better, but as an exercise for a few hours it was quite interesting.

Given how random the outcome was I'm not sure if I'll worry about doing it again though!

SOOC, not even a whiff of Photoshop!

davidc

#122 - British Museum

Postby davidc » Tue 07 May 2013, 10:33

The British Museum & it's architecture is like a magnet for photographers, especially the view of the main library. I wanted to try something different so focused instead on the stairs and waited (and waited!) for a sunny day to get some interesting shadows.

Pretty pleased with the result and getting a different view of the British Museum :)

British Museum - 122/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#123 - These Hands

Postby davidc » Tue 07 May 2013, 10:34

I've really been wanting to try a double exposure portrait but couldn't get a portrait of myself/others AND something to blend it with that I liked.

This came to mind eventually! It's actually quite tricky finding trees WITHOUT leaves now though - NOT that I'm complaining!

Definitely something I'll be having another go at.

These Hands - 123/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#124 - Light & Dark

Postby davidc » Tue 07 May 2013, 10:34

This is my shot for May the Fourth.

Love the result but it's been the most stressful so far and I finished at 23.59 :)

Strobist - complicated :D

I was holding two 1m long pieces of white plumbing pipe wrapped in EL wire but they weren't bright enough (hence lightsabers added completely in post)

Two YN560II's, one right/left and each gelled red/green on 1/2 power through umbrella.
YN460 in front of me adding backlight.

But that wasn't enough so after I'd nailed the side shots I reshot my head using both YN560's side on at head height, ungelled, to light my hood, then blended the two shots in photoshop.

Light & Dark - 124/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#125 - Bluebells

Postby davidc » Tue 07 May 2013, 10:35

All filler no killer today!

Had no time - or admittedly interest - in photography today, too busy with other stuff. Snapped this of the bluebells growing in our front garden.

Bluebells - 125/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”