David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: David's Project 365

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 13:11

davidc wrote:Thanks for all :)

I like the tilt-shift idea when it's done well and to be honest I was more keen on learning how to do it in photoshop rather than it be a brill photo. Now I know I have a much better venue in mind to try it out!

Digital Photo magazine has included this technique in its latest issue. It seems to be one of their hardy perennials as I am sure that they last did it only four or five months ago. Although I am not enamoured of the effect, I will probably give it a try as part of my project as one of the objectives is to do new things. Besides, I still have 266 photos to complete by the year end, so I have got to do something. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 18:08

Thanks for the link, I think this smiley says it all though :cry: :cry: :cry:

davidc wrote:No email, I just noticed on the comments "... seen in Explore! via xxx". There is a website you can put your username in and it queries flickr though -

http://bighugelabs.com/scout.php?
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 22:22

Flickr explore is overrated, don't worry about it :|
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#100 - Feeding the Birds

Postby davidc » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 22:24

Danbo & I decided to spend some lunchtime feeding the pigeons in London.

Feeding the Birds - 100/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

(Danbo is something of an internet meme who came about when someone realised the packing images on the side of Japanese Amazon boxes looked a bit like a face. Since then someone has made a little plastic model of him and there are people all over the world featuring him in shots. I think he's cute and in the absence of an available HUMAN model might resort to using him more throughout the project :))
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 22:25

Also, while the pigeon was building up the nerve to take the offered food I captured his hesitancy and turned it into a little video of him dancing with delight that Danbo was feeding him :)

My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 10 Apr 2013, 23:44

Congratulations on reaching 100 not out. :D
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 11 Apr 2013, 11:20

This shot has hit explore on flickr too... what's going on! :)

Currently 67th worldwide :o
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#101 - Peacock Feather

Postby davidc » Sun 14 Apr 2013, 22:28

Haven't updated this in a while, the end of last week was rather busy :)
My day 100 shot is now official the most favourited photo I've ever had, it was inside the top 50 worldwide and has a staggering 1609 views, 146 favourites and 34 comments at the time of writing! I do love it, it was meant to be a bit cute and a bit of fun and it seems to have hit the nail on the head. Image wise I'm pleased with it on other levels too, such as the sharpness of the pigeon's eye, the bokeh and the subtle reflection. Overall, very flattered by it's reception!

Anyway... I have some catching up to do.

No time for photography last Thursday, I came in from work "tired & emotional" ;)

I had a vision in my head of the peacock feather covered in tiny beads of water looking like it was encrusted in jewels. Didn't work and the feather is now drying out on the radiator :)

Still, lesson learned! Try again later in the year.

Peacock Feather - 101/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#102 - The Unseen

Postby davidc » Sun 14 Apr 2013, 22:31

I got a new lens today, a Lensbaby Spark :)

Rather than have the entire frame in focus it has one "sweet spot" that you move around the scene to choose what's in focus, by squeezing and pinching the edge of the lens itself. I realise that this kind of "organic" style of shooting won't suit everyone but it's certainly taking a lot of thinking and attention to get results out of it - expect to see more of it in future! It was only £69 too so a bargain, relatively speaking. However, if you prefer all your shots sharp with a normal plane of focus it's unlikely to be to your tastes. Still, if you want to borrow it I'm happy to loan it out for a bit :)

An awful lot of fun, challenging and a very different shooting experience giving very distinctive & unique results.

In the end I found that focusing on one place and waiting someone to walk into it was the best tactic ala HCB. I ended up watching this cleaner doing his rounds in the station and it was interesting that people just ignored him and moved around him like he wasn't there.

The Unseen - 102/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#103 - Cellular

Postby davidc » Sun 14 Apr 2013, 22:31

A busy day, out for the whole duration and not much time for shooting. I was at a family party and ended up borrowing a giant handful of straws - I wondered what they'd look like with my macro lens and lit from underneath :)

They almost look like single celled organisms to me.

Strobist - YN560-II on 1/8th power, left pointing up at 45deg angle. YN460 right, 1/2 power, up at 45 degs

Cellular - 103/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”