David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Re: David's Project 365

Postby davidc » Thu 21 Feb 2013, 07:23

Erm, thanks I think? Though I'd have thought - especially with the back story - it was anything but disrespectful! Educational, in that it might prompt people to do their own research into it like I did that day.

So far a couple of Muslim friends think its fantastic but if this DOES offend anyone I'll take it down.

edit: 've since researched extensively online and asked more friends, all of whom say it's fine and very creative.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:25

Personally, I do not have any issues with the image, just that I am aware that these matters can be very sensitive and what seems like common sense does not always prevail in such circumstances. That said, my original post probably did not convey my thoughts in exactly the way I had intended and a PM might have been better. Blame it on being late and I had just got home from club when I saw the picture. Given that you have investigated extensively, I have no problems with the image staying up although we might have to review that in the unlikely event that the situation changes.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

#52 - Vodka Martini with a Twist

Postby davidc » Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:48

Wanted to try dark field lighting techniques for a while now, it was tricky finding a balance between edge lighting and overblowing the highlight areas. This was the version I was most pleased with, a subtle effect.

Still I wanted to put my own stamp, or "twist" if you will, on the shot... :)

Strobist - YN560-II @ 1/8th through softbox behind glass, light bounced onto rim using white card.

But because that doesn't really help an awful lot, please see here for a proper setup guide with pictures and everything!

http://500px.com/davidcandlish/stories/ ... wist-on-it

Vodka Martini with a Twist - 52/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Sat 23 Feb 2013, 01:08

Tower Bridge - also an entry to the Cityread exhibition

Tower Bridge - 53/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: #52 - Vodka Martini with a Twist

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 14:19

davidc wrote:Wanted to try dark field lighting techniques for a while now, it was tricky finding a balance between edge lighting and overblowing the highlight areas. This was the version I was most pleased with, a subtle effect.

Strobist - YN560-II @ 1/8th through softbox behind glass, light bounced onto rim using white card.

But because that doesn't really help an awful lot, please see here for a proper setup guide with pictures and everything!

Thanks for sharing this technique. I want to produce something similar as part of my own project, but without this I would not have known how to go about it.

Edit: What are you using to trigger the flash?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 22:27

A set of rather cheap wireless flash triggers from amazon - sadly one of which failed on me yesterday so I've ordered another set. I'll post a link to my off camera flash kit if its of interest, you can spend many hundreds on official canon kit or get 3rd party stuff for so much cheaper that - even when one fails buying two or three more sets is still massively more cost effective.
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#54 - Afternoon Tea

Postby davidc » Mon 25 Feb 2013, 09:39

Two reasons why I decided on this as my shot of the day... The first is I wanted to practice food photography & lighting (for a potential future commission) and the second is, well, I made them so wanted to show them off!

Buttermilk scones with apricot preserve and clotted cream :)

Was interesting working through different setups and lighting for this but in the end my attempts were curtailed when the wifi unit on my second flash simply packed up completely. Very frustrating! Four more are on order already and I'm working on a story of how I tweaked the plans to make up for the lack of a second light, check comments soon.

Still, I was going for a rustic, afternoon-tea inspired look and - without resorting to Instagram-nonsense filters - think I did pretty well.

** Several scones were devoured in the making of this photograph **

Afternoon Tea - 54/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

"Sconist" - YN560II right at 1/8th through softbox just out of shot, silver reflector just out of shot left, ambient lighting from standard room lightbulb
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#55 - New Neighbours

Postby davidc » Mon 25 Feb 2013, 09:40

Well the robins have well and truly made our garden their home now. Probably something to do with the amount of food I'm leaving out for them :)

Apparently it's really hard to identify the gender of robins but I have a suspicion the male is on the right, I saw him drive off another robin that dared enter the garden and "he" is always shooing the blue tits and sparrows away from the food.

I'll be keeping a close eye out for any chicks, without getting too close to their nest.

Any suggestions for names?

New Neighbours - 55/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Re: #52 - Vodka Martini with a Twist

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 26 Feb 2013, 07:30

Love this shot and the unique twist you have given it. Appreciate you providing the "how to" on this also. I always find strobe lighting a daunting but showing the setup helps to demystify this. Have been reading some of http://strobist.blogspot.com which is a great resource if you havent already come across it.

davidc wrote:Wanted to try dark field lighting techniques for a while now, it was tricky finding a balance between edge lighting and overblowing the highlight areas. This was the version I was most pleased with, a subtle effect.

davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 26 Feb 2013, 10:27

Definitely a big fan of strobist and seek inspiration from their flickr group all the time! It's a bit frustrating I can't practice much more two-flash strobism setups at the moment until my new wireless triggers arrive but I've got a number of ideas planned for future shots.
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”