David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: #37 - Leaf Skeleton

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 07 Feb 2013, 07:59

davidc wrote:After moving furniture around in the bedroom I found a leaf from a bunch of flowers that must have fallen behind the chest of drawers. Ideal photo fodder :)

It seemed to suit high contrast monochrome particularly well, letting you focus on the intricate detail.

First time I have heard of someone turning over an old leaf .......

Good pattern shot.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Re: #37 - Leaf Skeleton

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 07 Feb 2013, 19:42

Fantastic image, love the diagonal composition. Looks like it was taken under a microscope, maybe I will keep some old flowers in the shed and see how they fair after a few months :)
davidc

#38 - Liquid

Postby davidc » Sat 09 Feb 2013, 00:09

Not much time for photography yesterday so I plucked an idea from my little black book.

Any ideas what it is? :)

http://500px.com/photo/25433333
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#39 - Split

Postby davidc » Sat 09 Feb 2013, 00:24

This wasn't the shot I had planned for tonight, I was originally aiming to do a high key body shot maybe holding the AE-1. That's back in the book to do another day.

Definitely enjoyed using and loved the effect my softbox gives - that's the main source to the left - and combined it with the shoot through umbrella. Once I started playing with my coloured gels the plan went out the window :) Went for something darker and moodier to cap off a crappy week at work.

Strobist - YN560II left @1/8th power through a softbox, blue gel. YN460 right, red gel through umbrella

http://500px.com/photo/25435241
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#40 - Anniversary

Postby davidc » Sat 09 Feb 2013, 17:10

It's 11th my anniversary today so the theme kinda went without saying :)
It was actually really challenging getting the lighting right in this one so I used a novelty light-changing LED lamp in the background and bounced flash off a piece of white card to light the book pages.

http://500px.com/photo/25485241
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#41 - Splash!

Postby davidc » Sun 10 Feb 2013, 21:03

I spent this afternoon learning the basics of water drop photography. I can now report it's in equal measures frustrating, messy and FUN :)

I planned to do this at a weekend because I assumed it would take a while to set up the shot, tweak settings and take a lot of trial and error. And I wasn't wrong! Today I've taken 1792 shots.... nearly two thousand! And out of this, I have kept exactly 10, three of which I like enough to post online!

Now I'm looking at electronically controlled infra red triggering system for future efforts :)

Strobist - YN 590II right at 1/32 pointed at the background, less than 10cm from the drop. YN460 left at 1/32 pointed at the background also.

Splash! - 41/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr

http://500px.com/photo/25603825
My Top 50 album is here
Rose

Re: David's Project 365

Postby Rose » Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:10

LOL.. you have far too much time on your hahnds David ! Seriously, you are learning in leaps and bounds and producing some cracking shoys - well done.
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:25

Rose wrote:LOL.. you have far too much time on your hahnds David !

Haha it definitely doesn't feel like it, especially when I spend most of the day thinking about what shot to take, start panicking on the train on the way home from work, get in/sort dinner out and still don't have a clear idea.... Sometimes I'm surprised I make it at all to be honest!

Seriously, you are learning in leaps and bounds and producing some cracking shoys - well done.

My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:42

Excellent. I also have a splash shot on my "to do" list, but a recent review of a triggering device in Amateur Photographer suggested that getting everything right is not straightforward. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :D
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:48

I think I'll go for a triggering setup later in the year but found a simple "plastic bag filled with water" served my needs admirably. I wasted over an hour trying to manually drop water into the same consistent spot based on another online setup guide... didn't work at all.

I've seen the electronically controlled multi-drop setup kits and though they look like fun, right now I don't want to spend that much and think I can achieve more use a slightly more modest arrangement.

I'm planning on doing it again soon and will post a "how to" setup guide as well. This one was very rough/ready.
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Photo Sharing”