5 B&W photos in 5 days

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Re: 5 B&W photos in 5 days

Postby davidc » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 08:48

A happy coincidence! I just want to see want people achieve :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mata

Postby Mata » Fri 14 Nov 2014, 19:05

Hi Davidc

Had a couple of thoughts!!

• Can we share the photos as taken without any editing? That way we can see the raw image as taken rather than the creative one that have been airbrushed?

• Can we add the full camera settings?

Speaking for myself that way any feedback I get I can improve and refine future images.

Having the raw data I can see what worked and what and where the changes need to be made.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 00:07

Mata wrote:Hi Davidc

Had a couple of thoughts!!

• Can we share the photos as taken without any editing? That way we can see the raw image as taken rather than the creative one that have been airbrushed?

• Can we add the full camera settings?

Speaking for myself that way any feedback I get I can improve and refine future images.

Having the raw data I can see what worked and what and where the changes need to be made.

Fine by me, although I think that giving camera settings is of limited use. Depending on how the mono conversion is undertaken, there might be one or more intermediate steps after the initial Raw processing and before conversion to mono if that is undertaken in a separate application. My normal method of working is Raw processing in Lightroom, with mono work undertaken in Silver Efex Pro 2. If this is to be a learning exercise, then people will also need to show images in intermediate states and give a brief description of the workflow.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 02:08

Also fine by me if people will get some benefit from seeing the editing process - something I'm doing working on for a different photo as requested. Happy to include settings if people find them useful/interesting too. I was going to start 5 threads, one for each day, where we can share our final images - maybe we can then link to a "how we did it" thread in the tips/technique forum?
My Top 50 album is here
Mata

Postby Mata » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 11:28

Again, speaking for myself, I would find that helpful.

When you first start something you don’t always know what help/guidance to ask for. And even for experienced photographers I am sure they will pick up tricks/tips they hadn’t thought off or may even share their own knowledge. Thus aiding and enhancing the whole group experience.

Learning becomes so much easier (and faster) when you can see the whole process (step-by-step) broken down into small manageable components.
davidc

Postby davidc » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 12:37

I have a very specific set of shots in mind for tomorrow so will include the "simple" camera settings as well as more detail about the scenes shot.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 14:42

davidc wrote:I have a very specific set of shots in mind for tomorrow so will include the "simple" camera settings as well as more detail about the scenes shot.

Me? Winging it as usual. :)

My original plans for the day have changed, anyway, so I'll just have to see what turns up when I have a camera in my hand.
Regards

Mike Farley
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 14:47

I dunno what I'll be shooting yet, but I will definitely post the final image, the as-captured shot, and any deliberate choices/changes I made. If there's a story to include then I will (but I suspect it'll mostly be "I wandered about until I saw this").

Beyond that will be a question of time/relevance - I'm already intending to do a write-up of any interesting processing I do on images (in general, not just for this), but... well, if I get one/two done a week I'll consider that a good rate at the moment, so might take a while to get through them all.
Mata

Postby Mata » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 16:28

I am going to Brick Lane, East London for the day tomorrow.

I am hoping it will be rain free. I haven’t had much luck with the rain. I am sure I am due a break. :)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Nov 2014, 16:29

Mata wrote:I am going to Brick Lane, East London for the day tomorrow.

I am hoping it will be rain free. I haven’t had much luck with the rain. I am sure I am due a break. :)

Interesting area, especially on a Sunday I have heard. Good luck with the weather.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”