David's Project 365

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 09:25

adfadfadfadfadf
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

#112 - "Heart"

Postby davidc » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 09:32

Another evening taken up with non-photography stuff leaving me little time to think of a shot so I resorted to my "little black book o' ideas".

I'd been interested to see how this would look backlit. I perched this between two cookbooks and placed my first flash behind but even though it was quite a distance out of shot I was still getting flare so I placed it behind, below and off centre which worked. Still, the front wasn't as bright as I wanted so I lit it using my second flash in the softbox from the left also. Quite pleased how it turned out.

"Heart" - 112/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Re: David's Project 365

Postby davidc » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 09:33

Hmm turns out the forum can't render the ASCII heart symbol correctly... phpBB hasn't been tested properly!
My Top 50 album is here
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:44

Hmm turns out the forum can't render the ASCII heart symbol correctly... phpBB hasn't been tested properly!

Well it's not an ASCII heart symbol - it's a Unicode heart symbol. That's relevant because the issue isn't the rendering (which works fine), but instead that when it is trying to store in the database the text field is limited to an extended ASCII charset, latin1_swedish, which has no heart.

I don't know why that's the case. Perhaps more bizarely is that the post subject is (correctly) set to UTF-8 (Unicode) - hence why the heart is displaying in the subject above this post, (even though this body text can't include it).

It might be a quick fix of changing the charset in the database to make it work, but it might also be more involved than that - I have things to do at the moment so will look into it later.
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 13:17

Thought I was a techie until I read this :?

Peter Boughton wrote:

Well it's not an ASCII heart symbol - it's a Unicode heart symbol. That's relevant because the issue isn't the rendering (which works fine), but instead that when it is trying to store in the database the text field is limited to an extended ASCII charset, latin1_swedish, which has no heart.

I don't know why that's the case. Perhaps more bizarely is that the post subject is (correctly) set to UTF-8 (Unicode) - hence why the heart is displaying in the subject above this post, (even though this body text can't include it).

It might be a quick fix of changing the charset in the database to make it work, but it might also be more involved than that - I have things to do at the moment so will look into it later.
davidc

#113 - Last Day of Blossom

Postby davidc » Tue 23 Apr 2013, 23:18

I'd found this view several weeks ago but each day I passed the sky was a flat, featureless white and it really didn't suit the image. I resolved to wait for blue skies.

Arriving today every other tree had seen all it's blossom blown off apart from this one, and as the wind blew it started to shed petals too.

Last Day of Blossom - 113/365 by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 09:13

Good find and well done for capturing it at the last gasp. The extended winter did not do much for the blossom locally and it did not display as well as normal. As temperatures tend to be a tad higher in the city, that probably helped.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 09:46

Paul Heester wrote:Thought I was a techie until I read this :?

Peter's depth of knowledge never ceases to surprise me, either. 8-)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:12

Took a lot of cleaning up to sort this out! Although the heart symbol seemed to render ok in the subject, trying to delete a post with a heart in the subject caused MySQL errors. I needed to manually delete EVERY heart then delete the duplicate posts!

Short version: Sorted now, carry on!
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 24 Apr 2013, 13:51

Great bokeh and composition. Nifty fifty shows again what a great lens it is.

Return to “Photo Sharing”