Oaks Park

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Oaks Park

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 26 Nov 2021, 09:46

I have driven past this place on many occasions without knowing what was there - woods and formal gardens of a now demolished grand house. Oaks Park is right next to Mayfield Lavender and it is possible to visit both on the same trip. Trees, especially in woodland settings, are not the easiest subject to photograph. Walking through woods, especially at this time of year with the autumn colours on display, can be a great experience. Translated into the two dimensions of a photograph, though, it is difficult to show what we saw in reality. Usually, the flatness of the image does not convey the sense of separation and everything turns out looking like a jumbled mess. (If you wish, insert your own joke here about not seeing the wood for the trees. ;) ) Instead, we often have to find the right setting and use compositional techniques to demonstrate the beauty of the scene.

Walking around Oaks Park was enjoyable but for a long time I was not finding anything that would make a good image. That is until I came across this group of beech trees illuminated by the autumnal sun that was not too bright and introduced some warmth into its light. The trees are not extensive and only occupy a stretch that is some 30 yards or so long. Venture a few steps either way and it does not work. Using the path allowed me to give the illusion of depth that helps to draw the eye. Even then, I was not getting what I wanted and the shot only came to life when I boosted textures and contrast in post processing.

I have posted this image on Flickr where you can see a larger version. As a bonus, Flickr has awarded it Explore status which has help to increase significantly the number of views, comments and faves it has received.

https://flic.kr/p/2mLxC9X

Autumn Glory.jpg
Autumn Glory
Autumn Glory.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Re: Oaks Park

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 26 Nov 2021, 10:19

Cracking shot Mike and Im glad you persevered in looking for an image as you've certainly succeeded.

For those looking for woodland inspiration I would suggest Simon Baxter - https://www.instagram.com/baxter.photos/ his YouTube videos are enjoyable as well.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 27 Nov 2021, 10:27

Paul Heester wrote:Cracking shot Mike and Im glad you persevered in looking for an image as you've certainly succeeded.

Thanks, Paul. I got another shot that day at Oaks Park with which I am pleased and will be posting it here shortly. It is on my Flickr feed if anyone wants a preview.

Paul Heester wrote:For those looking for woodland inspiration I would suggest Simon Baxter - https://www.instagram.com/baxter.photos/ his YouTube videos are enjoyable as well.

I agree, he has done some good work. Judging by what he has posted on Instagram, at lot of the time he relies on using mist to circumvent the issue of foreground and background blending together. There is nothing wrong with that and is a valid technique for woodland. Thanks for sharing, I will check out his videos as well.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 28 Nov 2021, 08:57

Viewed from a distance, this tree looked spectacular in the autumn sun but that that did not translate into a particularly pleasing image. I had more luck when I moved in close and rotated the camera to introduce a diagonal.

Autumn Colour.jpg
Autumn Colour
Autumn Colour.jpg (98.98 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Photo Sharing”