Shot of the Week February 2020 - Iggy Tavares

Post pictures you simply want to share with others. (Use "Image Critique" if you want to obtain feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: Shot of the Week February 2020 - Iggy Tavares

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 16 Feb 2020, 16:19

Iggy wrote:The model on a catwalk had light catching white make up on her nose and one side of the chin.

OK, it was the lighting rather than an adventurous make-up scheme. The way the light fell on your subject has not done you any favours. Hopefully you will be able to correct it in Photoshop. Most of her face looks orange, so if it was white make-up maybe the white balance needs a tweak?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 21 Feb 2020, 00:02

It was a combination of an adventurous make-up scheme of white make up on nose and one side of lower jaw.
Low light was an other issue. Shooting in JPEG was a third issue.

Here I have done a white balance correction as outlined in the following YouTube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUh3vZT0tbo

I went further and also cropped the image so that the face is now central and hopefully more prominent.
Hair colour has changed with the tweaking, but face colour does not seem to have.
Perhaps the image is more palatable now.
Time to move on I guess!
Attachments
S7-Colourful Pallette-CorWB SQ.jpg
S7-Colourful Pallette-CorWB SQ.jpg (189.67 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
S7-Colourful Pallette.jpg
S7-Colourful Pallette.jpg (155.28 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 21 Feb 2020, 08:29

Iggy wrote:Time to move on I guess!

One of the beneficial outcomes of doing this type of project is that it encourages regular activity and practice. As we all know, not every shot works but I would argue that the failures are more important than the successes. Analysing what went wrong allows us to learn and move on, be better next time. Frequently, that progression means going on to the next "mistake". If nothing else, photography is a process of continuous self improvement. The fun bit is in the challenge of putting all that hard won experience into creating a sucessful image.

Sometimes post processing allows us to make corrections after the fact, sometimes not. JPEG is OK if the image does not require anything much further to be done with it, but the format quickly reaches its limitations. The JPEG compression algorithm discards a lot of data which Raw file processing can utilise. Your use of JPEG has probably made it difficult to do much about the highlights on the face. Next time, you could try setting the camera to capture both JPEG and Raw which will give you more options afterwards. Space on memory cards is no longer the issue it was and reasonably fast high capacity cards are inexpensive these days.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 21 Feb 2020, 12:05

Thanks very much Mike for your advice.
Fortunately, I already have Light Room on my Desk top. Sadly, laptop with LR & Win 7 stopped working.
This month started working with a U3A group to learn more about the use of Light Room.
Already have several hundred joint Raw & JPEG files to play with but will start doing that again.
Just ordered some more Memory cards from Amazon.
Lets see how I go.
Main problem is that time is my enemy!
Regards,
Iggy
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 25 Feb 2020, 23:44

S8 - Pairs - Pair of Fading Pink Roses

I had been out several times during last week but with no result on “Pairs”
I was due to go out again on Sunday morning when I hoped to capture some human pairs to earn the extra credit.
However, I was feeling under the weather and the weather itself was not great. So I stayed in.
Resorted to an indoor late shoot, late last night, with what was available.
"Pair of fading roses" was the result.
Attachments
S8-Pair of Fading Pink Roses.jpg
S8-Pair of Fading Pink Roses.jpg (104.77 KiB) Viewed 3313 times

Return to “Photo Sharing”