Exotic

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Nina

Exotic

Postby Nina » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 17:19

I found this nature's work of art somewhere in Germany. Not entirely satisfied, I played around in PS and created this composite. Any feedback welcome. :)
If anyone knows what flower it is I'd be grateful for the information.
Thank you!

Canon EOS 5D
1/250s f/5.0 at 80.0mm iso400

w_8200.jpg
w_8200.jpg (409.35 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
davidc

Re: Exotic

Postby davidc » Tue 11 Mar 2014, 22:25

The stamens look like those from a lily but I'm not 100% sure. Interesting image, I'll have a think and get back to you
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Nina

Postby Nina » Wed 12 Mar 2014, 00:23

I thought that too, the stamens are very much like in a lily, but this flower was on a climbing plant and very much smaller.
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 12 Mar 2014, 09:01

After much deliberation, I'm not sure I personally like the background being so dark. Also, while I like the detail and colour of the leaves they don't hit the eye as strongly as a "normal" flower would. It's not bad, but not as good as your sweetpea shots. I'd maybe focus on the stamens and the little "pocket" they are in, maybe with some backlighting to add a soft glow?
My Top 50 album is here
Nina

Postby Nina » Wed 12 Mar 2014, 14:45

Thanks for your thoughts David. I don't think the dark background works with flowers either, but I thought I'd try it here. Wish i had the flower here then I could experiment with focus and lighting, but this was taken whilst on my travels in less than ideal conditions and out of doors.

Here is another go at processing using a much softer background.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

w2_8200.jpg
w2_8200.jpg (378.23 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 12 Mar 2014, 15:43

Lighter background is much better IMO and the border adds to it though personally I'd maybe try a slightly narrower border size.
My Top 50 album is here
Nina

Postby Nina » Thu 13 Mar 2014, 22:23

Thanks David. In case you are interested I have just found out what it is. It is called Cobaea Scandens and originates from Mexico, so it is quite tender for our climate but seeds are available and it can be grown as an annual.
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 08:34

I have been very busy of late, so have not had an opportunity to comment up until now. The orignal interpretation looked over processed to me and did not really suit the subject, being a bit too harsh. The second rendition was much better in that regard, although with the lighter tones I am not sure that such a wide white border works that well.

I am not certain that you identification of the flower is correct. I Googled it and I did not see anything which looked like the one in your shot.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Nina

Postby Nina » Fri 14 Mar 2014, 10:38

Thanks for your comments Mike. I do believe that my identification of the flower is correct this must be a variety of the species. Apparently it has a sweet scent as well, I am sure Lindsey would love to have a shot at growing it in a protected spot in your garden. :)
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Tue 27 May 2014, 20:03

Hi Nina, the trouble with that flower is it too busy, it seems to be three flowers in one. The white background makes it slightly better but if it were mine unless you have to show it specifically to some one I would not continue trying to resolve it.
wally

Return to “Image Critique”