Colour or B&W ?

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Rose

Colour or B&W ?

Postby Rose » Sun 17 Nov 2013, 16:59

I took this pic of some Goan fishermen on holiday last week. I've processed it in colour and B&W and can't decide which is best ?

Critique please :)
Many thanks

Boat-boys-v2-web.jpg
Boat-boys-v2-web.jpg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Boat-boys-(B&W2)-web.jpg
Boat-boys-(B&W2)-web.jpg (150.52 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Rose
davidc

Re: Colour or B&W ?

Postby davidc » Sun 17 Nov 2013, 17:26

Probably B&W I think. At least that was my first reaction, I'll have another look tomorrow with fresh eyes :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 17 Nov 2013, 19:45

Of the two you have posted, I would say colour as the mono version looks a bit flat.

If it were mine, I would push the contrast harder, which is possible as mono is only subject to luminance and you do not have to worry about hue and saturation. The attached is the colour image put through Silver Efex Pro 2 to give you an idea of how I would approach it. It's not perfect, just a quick conversion to show the possibilities.
Attachments
Boat-boys-v2-web.jpg
Mono version
Boat-boys-v2-web.jpg (152.62 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 09:05

Have you sharpened that? It looks like it's been oversharpened with visible haloing. Though maybe it's just the contrast boosting that's generated a similar looking result?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 09:22

davidc wrote:Have you sharpened that? It looks like it's been oversharpened with visible haloing. Though maybe it's just the contrast boosting that's generated a similar looking result?

No sharpening, I only applied the SEP2 High Structure (Harsh) preset, which I think acts on mid-tone contrast which is where much of the detail information for an image is controlled. Assuming Rose had already sharpened her image, this could account for the effect.

As I said, it is all a bit rough and ready, and working on a small, previously processed JPEG is not an ideal starting point. I simply wanted to give Rose an idea of what is possible by bringing out the tones and textures in the image.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:30

Thanks Mike - I was a bit wary actually of pushing the contrast too much for fear of losing the reality of the image, but I think you've shown that there is scope for a bit more.
Rose

Return to “Image Critique”