Night City Scene with bulb problems.

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Mike Farley

Re: Night City Scene with bulb problems.

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 18:57

I find this site very useful when comparing prices. Even when using a trade account, Jessops' prices are very high for most items of equipment, although it is still possible to get the occasional bargain. Last time when I enquired, they were not prepared to discount their price, even for the trade account, on a new camera. Needless to say, I went elsewhere and Park Cameras ended up getting the business.

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 19:10

davidc wrote:The brown comes from the orange sodium lighting reflecting off clouds, and black when it's a cloudless night. Though you can even get a blueish cast with a full moon.

Mike - do you have an example of a "blue sky" night shot, to show the difference between the black & brown ones here?

If you want to get a blue sky at night away from the bright lights of the city, try shooting at f/4 for 30 seconds with ISO set to 800. It is an eerie effect, with the light looking almost like day, but with stars in the sky. When I tried it, there was an orange glow in the disance which was coming from the direction of Dorchester. If the moon is visible, you will need to ensure that it does not appear in the shot as it will burn out - not good.

If you look at my member's gallery on the club website, the third image ("Following the Sun") was a 25 or 30 second exposure taken around 45 minutes after the sun had set. The scene appeared to be pitch black but there was still just enough light being reflected in the clouds from the sun as it shone from below the horizon to give that wonderful glow.

http://croydoncameraclub.org.uk/ClubMembersGallery/MikeFarley/MembersGallery_MikeFarley.htm
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 19:57

I would also add that the tenth image in my gallery ("Twilight") shows the blue sky visisble at dusk as well as additional colours. I was fortunate on this occasion as the setting sun created a vey colourful sky.
Regards

Mike Farley
Simon Clarkson

Postby Simon Clarkson » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 20:05

Mike Farley wrote:
davidc wrote:The brown comes from the orange sodium lighting reflecting off clouds, and black when it's a cloudless night. Though you can even get a blueish cast with a full moon.

Mike - do you have an example of a "blue sky" night shot, to show the difference between the black & brown ones here?

If you want to get a blue sky at night away from the bright lights of the city, try shooting at f/4 for 30 seconds with ISO set to 800. It is an eerie effect, with the light looking almost like day, but with stars in the sky. When I tried it, there was an orange glow in the disance which was coming from the direction of Dorchester. If the moon is visible, you will need to ensure that it does not appear in the shot as it will burn out - not good.

If you look at my member's gallery on the club website, the third image ("Following the Sun") was a 25 or 30 second exposure taken around 45 minutes after the sun had set. The scene appeared to be pitch black but there was still just enough light being reflected in the clouds from the sun as it shone from below the horizon to give that wonderful glow.

http://croydoncameraclub.org.uk/ClubMembersGallery/MikeFarley/MembersGallery_MikeFarley.htm

Wow !!!

I'd love to be able to take a picture like that!!
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 21:05

imagesliveon wrote:
Wow !!!

I'd love to be able to take a picture like that!!

Thanks, Simon. It's quite simple, just be at the right place at the right time. :)

Seriously, I was very fortunate. Skies like that do not come around very often in this country. Typically, as the sun sets clouds gather on the horizon, the sun sinks behind it and there are no fireworks. It has happened to me more times than I care to think about, including this past Sunday. Very frustrating. :!:
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:57

That's interesting, so are you saying that both of those shots from your member portfolio just looked like plain blue skies to the naked eye but when photographed had the orange/purple tones respectively?

I thought you meant blue skies more like this -

Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 17 Oct 2012, 23:21

When I took "Following the Sun", everything was pitch black so far as the naked eye was concerned. There was still some light left in the sky, which the sensor was able to accumulate over the extended exposure period. In "Twilight", which was a much shorter exposure although still taken after the sun had set, I could see the colours in the sky which is what prompted me to take the shot. The pictures were taken two nights apart and both were exceptional evenings. In other circumstances with a clear sky, directly after sunset I would expect to get a similar result to the one you have shown.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Image Critique”