Day 199 - Community Choice!

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidc

Day 199 - Community Choice!

Postby davidc » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 13:51

Based on the success of last night's meeting (and the fact I'll be out all night tonight!) I decided to go the long way to the gym at lunchtime and try for some street shots using my smartphone. I've narrowed it down to two images and I'll post them both here for people to critique and updated versions as I run them through snapseed/PS Express/Instagram.

Bear in mind the tools I have for cropping and enhancing are minimal, no cloning allowed :)

Untitled -
photo.JPG
(2.81 MiB) Not downloaded yet

"Stream of Shadows" -
photo2.JPG
(2.85 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Re: Day 199 - Community Choice!

Postby davidc » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 13:52

Bah why does it only show links and not render the image properly.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 14:09

davidc wrote:Bah why does it only show links and not render the image properly.

The image size exceeds the forum maximum. Resize to 1024 x 768 + > 250K and you should be OK.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 14:13

davidc wrote:Based on the success of last night's meeting (and the fact I'll be out all night tonight!) I decided to go the long way to the gym at lunchtime and try for some street shots using my smartphone. I've narrowed it down to two images and I'll post them both here for people to critique and updated versions as I run them through snapseed/PS Express/Instagram.

Bear in mind the tools I have for cropping and enhancing are minimal, no cloning allowed :)

The first image is slightly more interesting at present. I can see what you are trying to do with the second shot, but there is no real point of interest and it needs something else, a figure maybe? Possibly boosting the contrast to make more of the shadows might help, although I am not too sure.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 16:42

I prefer the second and I'm playing around on my phone to improve it as we speak. I'll post the results asap.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 17:27

Community choice?
Regards

Mike Farley
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 18 Jul 2013, 20:38

photo1 - I think if you crop to include the brown wall and then chop off the right side you have a winner. The building behind and the lady far right are a distraction to your main subject, the sandwich man. Also the stairs are not at right angle so my eye gets drawn to the bottom of the image.

photo2 - more promise on this one. I like how the light is dappling onto the floor, plus the glow from the railing. Might be tempted to process this one hard i.e. ramp up contrast and go for bold B&W or some cross-processed effect.
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 19 Jul 2013, 08:26

Mike Farley wrote:Community choice?

Replace choice with input :) although so far it seems to be a dead heat here anyway! Posted it to work too out of curiosity so may pass some of their feedback on too, assuming it's different to anything said here.

Also, processed photo #2 and working on #1.
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Image Critique”