Flare

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
svisilian

Flare

Postby svisilian » Fri 22 Feb 2013, 17:16

http://www.flickr.com/photos/svisilian/ ... otostream/

Shot one straight into the Sun,what do you think?

thanks!
davidc

Re: Flare

Postby davidc » Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:03

I like the DOF, particularly the eyes, and the prism effect on her hair is something a bit different.
Actually was too busy looking at the bits I liked to find the flare mentioned in the title at first :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 09:38

I like this image for much the same reasons as Dave. The flare is unfortunate and, for me, detracts from what is otherwise a good shot.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:17

Mike Farley wrote:I like this image for much the same reasons as Dave. The flare is unfortunate and, for me, detracts from what is otherwise a good shot.

For me, because its not a straight up "record portrait" where you would expect technique/frame/pose to allow no distractions (like on a passport photo for example), the flare seemed to be an integral part of the picture and the mood conveyed. Whether the lens flare was intentional for me it certainly doesn't detract and if anything adds to the mystique of "what is she looking at/think about", adding an emotional connection.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:35

davidc wrote:For me, because its not a straight up "record portrait" where you would expect technique/frame/pose to allow no distractions (like on a passport photo for example), the flare seemed to be an integral part of the picture and the mood conveyed. Whether the lens flare was intentional for me it certainly doesn't detract and if anything adds to the mystique of "what is she looking at/think about", adding an emotional connection.

We continue to have differing views on what constitutes good photography, but the matter is so subjective we can both be right. Art only moves on by pushing the boundaries and what was once unacceptable becomes the mainstream. In my view, the flare is a technical imperfection and the image could have better achieved its objectives without it. Included, it simply looks like a mistake, regardless of whether it was intentional as the title would seem to suggest.
Regards

Mike Farley
svisilian

Postby svisilian » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 11:05

The flare was intentional,I like a little bit of flare un some portraits,the fact that in this picture is a little bit too much might be a slight problem,but I really like it since is my wife that is in the picture it has more relevance to relieve perhaps.

in the future I will try to improve on controlling the light better.

Thanks for all your comments I really like this section in the forum,I will certainly post more photos in here,critique can only make you improve as far as I am concern.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 24 Feb 2013, 13:58

svisilian wrote:The flare was intentional,I like a little bit of flare un some portraits,the fact that in this picture is a little bit too much might be a slight problem,but I really like it since is my wife that is in the picture it has more relevance to relieve perhaps.

The judge at last Wednesday's DPI competition said that people should be taking pictures primarily for themselves and if someone else likes them as well that is a bonus. Sound advice and an approach which you are adopting. Should you ever wish to go into competition, depending on who is judging an innovative approach might or might not pay off. Judges often see the same type of image frequently occurring and many will give credit for something which is more unusual if they think it has been well executed. From what I have seen in this and your other posts, you are prepared to experiment and over the course of time you will discover for yourself what works and what doesn't.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Image Critique”