Autumnal abstract

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Paul Heester

Autumnal abstract

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 13:35

Ive been experimenting with a technique called "in the round" popularised by Pep Ventosa amongst others. It involves taking multiple exposures from slightly different angles of your subject. You then stack each layer in photoshop and change each layers opacity to get an effect you like.

With autumn colours particularly vibrant this year I took 4 shots of this tree and its fallen foliage. However, Im asking the forum as I really dont know if this has any appeal or if entered into a competition whether a judge would get this intentional outcome?

DSC05456all2.jpg
DSC05456all2.jpg (241.77 KiB) Viewed 7727 times
Mike Farley

Re: Autumnal abstract

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 08 Nov 2016, 18:38

Paul Heester wrote:Ive been experimenting with a technique called "in the round" popularised by Pep Ventosa amongst others. It involves taking multiple exposures from slightly different angles of your subject. You then stack each layer in photoshop and change each layers opacity to get an effect you like.

With autumn colours particularly vibrant this year I took 4 shots of this tree and its fallen foliage. However, Im asking the forum as I really dont know if this has any appeal or if entered into a competition whether a judge would get this intentional outcome?

I've had a look at Pep Ventosa's website and he has obtained some impressive results with this technique. I like the painterly/abastract effect. While I can see what you were trying to do, I do not feel as though you have entirely succeeded. As much as anything, the composition and lack of variation in the colour work against it. The centrally placed tree trunk looks wrong and while there is an interesting swirl in the leaves, there is not enough going on to hold interest for long. If you look at Ventosa's tree images, he shows the entire tree which seems to work better and has more impact.

Trying to second guess judges is hazardous as they constantly surprise with their picks and rejections, so you might strike lucky and get one to whom this appeals. Judges often seem to favour images which are unusual and dissimilar to what they have previously seen. My suspicion, though, is that anyone looking at this image would be confused as to what you are trying to achieve and mark accordingly. The idea has a lot of potential and even if this attempt has not been entirely successful, I would definitely encourage you to experiment further if you can find a suitable subject.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:13

Thanks for the response Mike. It was more of a test of the technique itself but Im happy with the effect this gives, I just need to find a suitable subject to apply it to. :) No doubt a judge would be confused with this image but they do get easily confused... :lol:
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Sun 29 Jan 2017, 18:03

Hi Paul, I don't usually look at this spot but I found it at last.
The Image seems to me to be one dimensional and flat, but I wouldn't take any notice of what i say, as Mike says you would be surprised how judges take these images.
Do your thing and take the consequences is my way, you can have a good laugh if nothing else.
Abstracts are very personal, I do a lot and am happy with the response most times although my technique is to take already abstract images and alter there presence
either by making them negatives or enhancing there colours.
Anyway you don't need my input on that, you do your thing.
Regards Wally

Return to “Image Critique”