Architectural clash

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Paul Heester

Architectural clash

Postby Paul Heester » Mon 22 Aug 2016, 12:51

Below is a grab shot (from my phone) of a restaurant ceiling and the reflective cubes showing the outer square and its different styles. Im not sure if the colour is too dominant and detracts from the snippets of architecture? Ive also included the uncropped image to see if anyone thinks a different composition works. Would have liked to explore it further but having kids tugging at my legs inhibited further shots :roll:

red1.jpg
red1.jpg (104.1 KiB) Viewed 7663 times

red2.jpg
red2.jpg (89.14 KiB) Viewed 7663 times
davidc

Re: Architectural clash

Postby davidc » Tue 23 Aug 2016, 09:20

The crop is definitely the better choice and I wonder if you're right about the red, have you tried converting to B&W?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 23 Aug 2016, 11:14

davidc wrote:The crop is definitely the better choice and I wonder if you're right about the red, have you tried converting to B&W?

Agree about the crop, and I did try converting to mono which did not work, from my perspective atr least. My feeling is that it needs the red and given that is what the designer chose, it is probably the colour which works best. There are lots of interesting angles, diagonals and triangles here, and it has an abstract quality. My feeling is that it could do well reasonably well, but that is dependent on the degree to which the judge is looking for a realistic image. There are a few I can think of who will ask what they are supposed to be looking at. I did notice that there is a very white triangular area at top right which I would look to tone down a bit, otherwise you are simply giving a judge the opportunity to dismiss the shot by saying it is a wrongly placed highlight which distracts.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 24 Aug 2016, 17:20

Thanks for the feedback.

@Mike - Completely missed the light corner and agree a judge would pick up on this. Also agree that some judges would struggle to work out what they are seeing...

@David - Yes I tried the mono but it kinda kills the whole shot, maybe less saturation and possibly boost the blues in the sky.

Return to “Image Critique”