Brighton West Pier

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidc

Brighton West Pier

Postby davidc » Thu 13 Sep 2012, 11:55

Considering entering this in the monochrome competition later this year. Quite pleased with the actual conversion to mono itself, liked the mix of subtle tones in the sky/water and the sharp skeleton of the pier. But I'm not sure if/how to improve it further. I've tried cropping it and keep coming back to this one.

Thing is, I just *know* judges will say "oh your sky is soooo boring!"...

Thoughts/criticism appreciated!

exif -
f8
10mm
ISO 100
8 sec exposure

Brighton West Pier by cedarsphoto, on Flickr
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Brighton West Pier

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 13 Sep 2012, 18:47

Dave

It is certainly an unusual photo and I can see that you have used a wide angle lens to fill the foreground and provide a sense of depth and perspective. You have a pleasing diagonal there with the left hand side of the wall/groyne continuing into the pier. For me, it seems unbalanced with too much space above the pier and to the right. I don't mind the horizon going through the centre of the image as it is essentially a picture of two halves. I would crop to get the groyne starting from the left hand corner and remove the empty spaces which don't add anything other than to contribute to the imbalance. This leaves some empty space to the top left which is unavoidable, but as the eye settles on the groyne and pier is not important. My suggested crop is attached which has a greater dynamic tension in my opinion. Overall, an imaginative shot, well done.
Attachments
6928812212_f87a055ed0_b.jpg
6928812212_f87a055ed0_b.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 14 Sep 2012, 10:34

I prefer your crop, think I'll go with that.

r.e. the empty space, I think this is a wider question I have. Judges, without fail, criticise empty space. Sometimes I think having empty space adds to an image and having stuff everywhere can be distracting and take you away from the main subject. That was deliberate with this one, as well as converting to mono to focus the viewer on the leading line into the skeletal pier wreckage. Having said all of that, your suggested crop is better while still keeping some of the empty space I was after.

I just know for a fact a judge will say "oh, too much empty space top left, you should have had better clouds". Anyone care to take that bet? :)
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 14:49

As with everything to do with composition, it depends whether empty space is adding anything to a composition, often by providing balance to another element. Some judges will invariably criticise empty space, the more thoughtful ones will consider whether it is contributing to the overall effect created by the image. As a general rule, it is probably better to exclude empty space and only include it if there is good reason to.

When I have an opportunity, I'll start a thread to discuss this topic in more depth.
Regards

Mike Farley
Simon Clarkson

Postby Simon Clarkson » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 14:11

Nice photo David. Was this taken during the day? Did you use a Grad Filter on that 8 Sec exposure?

Have you heard of a program called Silver efex pro? Its a great program for the lovers of Mono pictures with lots of excellent features.. ;)

Regards
Simon
imagesliveon
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:16

imagesliveon wrote:Nice photo David. Was this taken during the day? Did you use a Grad Filter on that 8 Sec exposure?

Have you heard of a program called Silver efex pro? Its a great program for the lovers of Mono pictures with lots of excellent features.. ;)

It was taken at dawn, so earlier shots in the sequence show quite a dark sky in the full frame. This was a bit later, you couldn't see stars anymore, but it was still fairly dim.

I have heard of it but although I downloaded a trial, it somehow failed to work, the trial elapsed so now I can't try it again! I'll figure something out, but in the meantime I've been following the advice from a guy called Scott Kelby about how to get decent effects by tweaking curves. I've also used photomatix, normally reserved for HDR, to generate some interesting non-HDR mono effects too.

But silver efex pro is definitely on my list :)
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 19:20

David

I can recommend Silver Efex Pro - since acquiring version 2 I have hardly produced anything in colour. ;)

It works as a plugin for Lightroom, Photoshop/Elements and Aperture. If you select it from Lightroom, it creates a new file to which the mono efects are applied. With Photoshop, it is applied within its own layer. I have no knowledge of how it functions with Aperture.

There is a new version (2.006) that has been released recently, so you might be able to download and run it.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Image Critique”