BLUEBELL RAILWAY 3 - Observing 'Camelot'

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidb

BLUEBELL RAILWAY 3 - Observing 'Camelot'

Postby davidb » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 02:08

Taken at the Bluebell Railway at their Giants of Steam event in 2015.

These two shots were taken from the observation carriage attached to BR class 5 locomotive 'Camelot'.

The first was taken on the move and shows a passenger admiring the locomotive. The second shows a young lad starring at 'Camelot' as it passes by, preparing to be attached to the train.
Attachments
OBSERVING 'CAMELOT' 2.JPG
---
OBSERVING 'CAMELOT' 2.JPG (238.01 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
OBSERVING 'CAMELOT' 1.JPG
---
OBSERVING 'CAMELOT' 1.JPG (238.34 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
Regards

David A Beard.
Paul Heester

Re: BLUEBELL RAILWAY 3 - Observing 'Camelot'

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 10:16

Both excellent images from an interesting viewpoint. So the observation carriage is at right angles to Camelot or its the back window? I prefer the second image as it has a child and the side angle is more complimentary, also like the chimney pot showing through the steam. Personally think this would do well in a competition, maybe a subtle sepia tone added?
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 10:50

Thanks Mike, your comments are appreciated. The second image (one with child) was taken at East Grinstead while the locomotive was running round for re-attachment at the front of the train.

I like both images although there is a bit too much reflections off the window. You can just make out the child's father in the second while in the first you can just make out the reflection of the gentleman whose shoulder I'm shooting over.

I'll probably try both in competition (although not both in the same round!).
Regards

David A Beard.
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 13:43

davidb wrote:Thanks Mike

I know Mike is the largest contributor on the forums but there are others you know!
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 14:11

Paul Heester wrote:Mike is the largest

And to think he said I was a robust bruiser... :lol:
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 16:33

Paul Heester wrote:
davidb wrote:Thanks Mike

I know Mike is the largest contributor on the forums but there are others you know!

Sincere apologies Paul - I obviously didn't read the header :oops:
Regards

David A Beard.
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 16:39

Paul Heester wrote:Both excellent images from an interesting viewpoint. So the observation carriage is at right angles to Camelot or its the back window? I prefer the second image as it has a child and the side angle is more complimentary, also like the chimney pot showing through the steam. Personally think this would do well in a competition, maybe a subtle sepia tone added?

I think the modern part (i.e. the part within the carriage) looks good in colour whilst the older (the locomotive) is (mostly) in black and white. It also has a kind of tv look.

The observation carriage have windows on all four sides.
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 17:10

davidc wrote:
Paul Heester wrote:Mike is the largest

And to think he said I was a robust bruiser... :lol:

Oh, I've called you worse than in private. ;)

Still, it's nice to get some credit around here, even if it is not deserved on this occasion. :D
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 17:14

The second shot works better for me, although I would be tempted to add a bit more above the top right hand corner of the window as it is a bit too close to the edge. It's almost as if the person is looking at a picture, an effect that the first shot does not really convey.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Postby davidb » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 17:52

Mike Farley wrote:The second shot works better for me, although I would be tempted to add a bit more above the top right hand corner of the window as it is a bit too close to the edge. It's almost as if the person is looking at a picture, an effect that the first shot does not really convey.

The window is slanting across the picture; if I add more of the frame to the right, I get light creeping in at the top left corner. I have already eliminated a small amount of hi-light from that area and I don't think I can add any more. I'll have a look and perhaps skew the image a little to give me more frame to work with.
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Image Critique”