Mono reflections

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Rose

Mono reflections

Postby Rose » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 09:57

I took this in New York a few weeks ago - I was struck by the juxtaposition of lines and tones. It might make it into one of this season's comps but I'd welcome comments... could it do with a bit of cropping ? is there too much at the top of the image ?

Mono reflections.jpg
Mono reflections.jpg (235.25 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

Thanks,
Rose
Rose
Paul Heester

Re: Mono reflections

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 13:44

I think both buildings hold equal interest therefore I would crop some more off the top as you suggest so the eye studies both with roughly a 50/50 split. Maybe a contrast boost to bring out the lower building more and lose the streetlamp as well?
Mike Farley

Re: Mono reflections

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 23 Oct 2015, 17:36

Just to prove how subjective this is, I have no issues with the existing proportions of the buildings, but then I usually prefer the elements to be off centre. I would be tempted either to trim the right hand edge or at least tone it down otherwise you will get the judge complaining about a distracting highlight. Should you crop, you might need to remove a bit of the top and/or bottom as well to avoid the shot becoming too thin and you could well end up with equal proportions as a consequence.

Whether it is simply due looking at the image on a laptop screen, but personally I do not find the shot to be that interesting and the reflections in the windows are bit too small to make that strong an impression. I am not convinced that even with my suggested changes it would score that highly in a competition.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Image Critique”