Cafe Window Candid

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Mike Farley

Cafe Window Candid

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 20 Jul 2015, 12:27

There are many things "wrong" with this image. The main subject is at top left, I am in it*, a large out of focus area at bottom right, not to mention that it is cluttered and confused. Yet I still quite like it. What do others think?

Window Candid.jpg
Window Candid.jpg (144.56 KiB) Viewed 2768 times

Olympus OMD-EM10
25mm @ f/2.8, 1/80 sec

*Next time I am doing street, I might consider a plain dark shirt. And take my watch off it is is short sleeved.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Re: Cafe Window Candid

Postby Rose » Mon 20 Jul 2015, 14:42

I think it's a near miss... I like most of it and have no problem with the composition, or you being in the frame - but the reflection of your arm going through the lady's face spoils it for me I'm afraid..
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 03:16

I'd agree near miss. For me it's too cluttered and you are the central focal interest in the scene. You've caught a candid expression but it's not one where she is doing anything recognisably interesting. The way you are stealth-shooting at waist level is amusing but it's probably not one I'd consider keeping if it were mine.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 21 Jul 2015, 07:48

Thanks for the feedback, which confirms my doubts about the image. I have got a number of other shots from the day, which was surprisingly productive, and this was one I was not quite sure about. I'll most likely leave it out of the final selection.

davidc wrote:The way you are stealth-shooting at waist level is amusing ......

That's the Vivian Maier style, of course, due to her use of a Rolleiflex TLR. These days a flip out screen does the same job.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Image Critique”