Woodland scene

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Rose

Woodland scene

Postby Rose » Mon 31 Dec 2012, 14:40

Woodland-scene-2-(web.jpg
Woodland-scene-2-(web.jpg (246.22 KiB) Viewed 5532 times

100 sec and f/5.6 with my 24-105L lens - this was a grab shot and one of those occasions when you've got the wrong lens on the camera but no time to change it ! We spotted the deer as we were driving through France in the summer. We stopped and I leapt out of the car with my camera. This is cropped from the original, I deliberated about where to crop - and decided to include the treetrunk on the right hand side. I'd welcome your thoughts ?

Rose
Mike Farley

Re: Woodland scene

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 31 Dec 2012, 16:38

Hi Rose

You were certainly fortunate to come across this scene and if they are anything like their English cousins, I bet the deer did not hang around for too long. Without seeing the original, it is difficult to comment on the cropping, except to say that using part of a tree to form a frame on the border is usually the best option. Otherwise you end up with a light strip along the edge which takes the eye from the main subject.

I have to say that for me, this is a "nearly" image. I like the colours and the gentle harmony of the greens and browns, and the deer give it an appeal, but their positions in the scene could have been better. It took me a few moments to realise that there are five of them in the image, with the two fawns on the right being particularly obscured. The deer next to them is also blending into the background, which as one of the points of interest is a pity.

Unfortunately, much the same can be said about the principal deer in the foreground. It is in a great position and looking directly at the camera, but if only we could see more of its legs or the sunlight behind it was shining where it is standing. Alternatively, if it had been a bit closer and so larger in the frame, it would have the prominence the image needs.

I have done a quick and inelegant Photoshop mashup to illustrate what I mean. I have enlarged the deer in the foreground, cloned in some legs for it and lightened it slightly to make it more the main point of interest.

Capture.JPG
Edited image
Capture.JPG (201.77 KiB) Viewed 5530 times

This shot is typical of the way our hobby can be so frustrating on occasion. We are gifted a view like this, but it is only fleeting and all the elements do not quite come together to get the best out of it. That said, it remains a pleasing image and possibly a bit of judicious editing of the original would allow everything to come together to give it that bit extra.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Nina

Postby Nina » Mon 07 Jan 2013, 14:32

I like it a lot Rose. Inspired by Mike's idea to enlarge the beast in the first plan I did the same. And I also cropped a bit tighter on the bottom and left and tried to make more of the dappled light by increasing contrast using Multiply layers in places. It doesn't work that well, but given the original file I'm sure I could improve on it. Worth the trouble as scenes like this do not occur very often.

nl.jpg
nl.jpg (551.26 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
Attachments
Woodland-scene-2-(web.jpg
Woodland-scene-2-(web.jpg (246.22 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 09 Jan 2013, 23:34

Having now seen this image projected at tonight's DPI competition, it made a much better impression when viewed at a larger size.
Regards

Mike Farley
Rose

Postby Rose » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 00:02

Thanks Mike ! :))
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:05

Late night posting from you guys! That's dedication...
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Rose

Postby Rose » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:46

davidc wrote:Late night posting from you guys! That's dedication...

LOL... Not so David - the clockstamp on this forum is wrong !
I'm posting this at 12:46 pm
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 13:50

Must be daylight savings time added somewhere :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 10 Jan 2013, 14:50

davidc wrote:Must be daylight savings time added somewhere :)

There is a setting in the User Control Panel where it is possible to specify whether or not BST is in effect. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a global setting that can be configured by an administrator, nor does the system do it automatically. It is down to each user to apply it for themselves.

Hopefully, this link will work.

http://forums.croydoncameraclub.org.uk/ucp.php?i=174
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Image Critique”