Tulips

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
Paul Heester

Tulips

Postby Paul Heester » Sun 19 Apr 2015, 20:17

I spent last summer taking lots of different flower shots with plain coloured backgrounds so wanted to try something different. So I bought some bunches of Tulips yesterday in the hope of getting a nice composition with them. I elected to use a spare slate tile and layed 3 in a pattern. As this wasnt so much about colour I changed it to a duotone. However, Ive come away feeling Ive missed something with Tulips. Any tips on improving composition or trying something different?

IMG_7198a.jpg
IMG_7198a.jpg (246.59 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
GrahamL

Re: Tulips

Postby GrahamL » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:15

Hi Paul,

Very inventive as ever. Possibly see the problem.

My only suggestion is that the tile background may have sufficient detail that it presents a distraction (draws the eyes away from the tulips). I guess an alternative approach would be a more diffuse background, either by suspending the tulips above the surface so the tile is partly out of focus or to simply photoshop blur the background, possibly lightening it to accent the tulips. Could be a different background, but that's a new kettle of fish.

Hope helpful,

Graham
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 14:04

Thanks Graham

I see your point re the background. When I next have a chance I will blur the background out and possibly lighten it and will re-post. Watch this space :)
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 28 Apr 2015, 21:08

Heres the amended shot with gaussian blur applied to the slate and slight burning added to buds. Its improved it somewhat but I think I the choice of background was wrong to begin with. May try further shots over the summer when inspiration strikes.

IMG_7198a2.jpg
IMG_7198a2.jpg (229.2 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
Nina

Postby Nina » Fri 01 May 2015, 01:18

I prefer the original. It suggests that the tulips are carved out of the slate. :?
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig

Return to “Image Critique”