Tracks

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidc

Tracks

Postby davidc » Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:07

Decided to get off my backside and start something I've been thinking about for a while - photographing the landmarks and interesting sights of London, at night, using HDR to show more detail yet keep it subtle enough so it doesn't look like someone has vomited colour onto the screen.

WDYT?

http://500px.com/photo/20916481
iso100
f9
30sec
22mm
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Tracks

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 23 Dec 2012, 13:40

The first thing that I would say that even though this subdued HDR image looks better than some of the more OTT examples which are around, I still find something unnatural about it. That said, I can see the potential for certain types of scene and the lower half of this image conveys the sense that there is a lot of detail. The strong diagonals certainly lead the eye to the right, but unfortunately there is not really anything to hold the attention when it gets there. A train might well work in this situation, particularly if it coming into the scene to counteract the left to right motion created by the tracks and direct the eye back into the image, but on the assumption it would be moving it could not be captured using the HDR technique.

I also find that the top of the image does not work well for me. Once again there is the question about whether highlights distract. For many they do, and there is a particularly "glaring" example right on the edge at top left. Cropping it out or replacing it using either the cloning or healing brushes makes a surprisingly large difference to the imapact of the overall image. Then there is the signal at top right, which is suspended without visible support. Removing it and the blown highlight from the red signal, another distraction, helps to improve matters. It is not really needed as there is enough going on without it.

I have attached an amended version to highlight the possibilities that a bit of post process editing would create. The light coming down from top left still needs a bit of work, but it does add some atmosphere to the scene.

Thanks for posting, especially as it shows a more restrained use of HDR and the possibilities that it opens up.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (184.56 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Nina

Re: Tracks

Postby Nina » Mon 24 Dec 2012, 15:18

Interesting project David and a good beginning with this image. Whilst agreeing with much of what Mike has said I would probably tackle this image differently. For me the lead in of the tracks is good and the lights at the end provide a satisfying destination although it is perhaps a little too close to the edge. Have you thought about cropping to a square ditching the less interesting part on the left? It could improve the balance and work really well.
Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig

Return to “Image Critique”