Promenade Shelter

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
keithash

Promenade Shelter

Postby keithash » Mon 01 Sep 2014, 20:37

This picture was recently taken at while at Hastings. I't was a windy day so i was trying some long exposure to get the cloud movements.

Thanks
Keith
Regards,

Keith

Check out my new website - bare in mind it still under development:

https://kash-photography.herokuapp.com/
Paul Heester

Re: Promenade Shelter

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 13:26

Hi Keith

You've captured a strong image here with punchy contrast and a good subject for B&W. I like the pavement slabs as they hit the corners nicely, plus the lighter slabs give some extra foreground interest. Darkening the corners of the sky may help frame the shot better - Im guessing you've done some dodging and burning already so sure you know how. I would imagine a club judge saying there is too much empty space to the right of the shelter. Personally I like it is but a crop may emphasise the shelter more. Keep up the good work :)
keithash

Postby keithash » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 13:55

Thanks Paul Heester for your comment. I will burn in the sky a bit more :D
Regards,

Keith

Check out my new website - bare in mind it still under development:

https://kash-photography.herokuapp.com/
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 17:19

Hi Keith

I agree with everything that Paul has said. I would also add that the diagonals formed by the paving slabs provide neat lead in lines towards the shelter. Together with the use of the long exposure to add a bit of drama to the sky and the conversion to mono, you have done well with this subject. You have been unfortunate that the lines in the clouds do not coincide with the position of the shelter, which is no doubt why you felt it was necessary not to leave so much dead space on the right. Did you try changing your position to get the clouds better placed? I appeciate that so doing might have compromised the effect of the lead in lines of the paving. You also seem to have taken the shot holding the camera at a normal height and I do wonder if lowering it would help emphasise the paving more and put the shelter against the sky. It would also help reduce the background on the right which is distracting.

We do ask that people submitting images for critique supply the technical information for the exposure as this can sometimes have a bearing on the comments which reviewers wish to make. For example, I would like to know if a wide-angle lens was used as this is one method to bring out an interesting foreground such as you have here.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Image Critique”