Suspended

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidb

Suspended

Postby davidb » Sun 13 Jul 2014, 19:43

I was at Amberley Museum & Heritage Centre yesterday (Saturday) and noticed this scene. Any comments?

EXIF:
ISO: 250 (AUTO)
Exposure: 1/160 (AUTO) @ f/8.0 (AV)
Canon EF 28-135mm (I know, Mike, not the best lens in the world!) - focal length 135mm

At the top is a web and the leaf at the bottom is hanging from a thread from it. The lower part of the web is there (I can see it but it is very fine and feint).

AM & HC is an interesting collection of familiar objects from our past (including some from our more recent past which would be easily recognisable). It includes (amongst other things) an 'Ironmonger's Shop', 'Print Workshop' Kilns and an extensive narrow gauge railway with steam and diesel locomotives used for rides and moving goods.

http://www.amberleymuseum.co.uk

http://www.amberleynarrowgauge.co.uk/index.html
Attachments
20140712 1DX 0035BB Amberley.JPG
20140712 1DX 0035BB Amberley.JPG (242.06 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Re: Suspended

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 13 Jul 2014, 20:12

A fellow football fan, I see. ;)

Well spotted. Unfortunately the shot does not appear to be sharp (maybe due to the low resolution web image?) where it needs to be, which makes it difficult to tell what is going on here. I suspect that we really need clearly to see the web at the top, the leaf and the thread from which it is dangling. I am not sure that the board at bottom right adds anything and I would try cloning it out.

I went to the Amberley Museum & Heritage Centre many years ago when it was still known as the Amberley Chalk Pits and was very disappointed. There were supposed to be a lot of activities going on, but we only saw one person actually doing anything and none of the promised rides were working. I have not been back since, although I presume that the fact it is still there means that it has improved in the intervening period.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Postby davidb » Sun 13 Jul 2014, 20:34

I went to the Amberley Museum & Heritage Centre many years ago

I think you'll find it's improved since you last went. Check out the web site it will give you a better idea of what's there. I bought a nice wooden challis for £5. It had been made onsite by one of the craftsmen.

we really need clearly to see the web at the top, the leaf and the thread from which it is dangling

The web is there both at the top and all the way down to the leaf but is so fine it doesn't show up until the picture is enlarged and I don't know how I can enhance it (without taking a pen to it!). The web at the top has clearly caught the light and is difficult to tone down.

I am not sure that the board at bottom right adds anything and I would try cloning it out

I probably could get rid of the plank at bottom right but is it worth while at this point. The web was spun on the hand-rail on a bridge crossing the railway hence the diagonal plank. I could include more of the structure but it would probably be distracting.

Unfortunately the shot does not appear to be sharp

To some extent I can put this down to the lens I used - you've given your opinion of this several times! I really need to get a better EF lens for my 1DX.

Thanks Mike, your import is helpful as usual.
Regards

David A Beard.
davidb

Postby davidb » Sun 13 Jul 2014, 20:44

A slightly different crop. The removal of the plank bottom right didn't go too well.
Attachments
20140712 1DX 0035BBB Amberley.JPG
20140712 1DX 0035BBB Amberley.JPG (61.51 KiB) Viewed 3630 times
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 13 Jul 2014, 23:59

davidb wrote:The web at the top has clearly caught the light and is difficult to tone down.

If you shot in Raw, then you could try adjusting the Highlights slider in ACR, or similar control in another Raw converter.

If all you have is a JPEG, the Shadows/Highlights control can work well, as can adjusting the mid-tone in Levels. I would suggest doing the adjustment in a separate layer, then use either a Layer Mask or feathered selection so that only the area you want to change is altered.

davidb wrote:Thanks Mike, your import is helpful as usual.

You are very welcome.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 14 Jul 2014, 01:25

If you shot in Raw, then you could try adjusting the Highlights slider in ACR, or similar control in another Raw converter.

Done that. What you see is what I got. Idea good, product bad.

A fellow football fan, I see

I'm not too sure what you mean by this!
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Image Critique”