Red Arrows this way came

Post a photo to get comments and suggestions on how it can be improved. For best help you should include the relevant EXIF information. (Use "Photo Sharing" if you simply want to share images and are not after feedback.)
davidb

Red Arrows this way came

Postby davidb » Sat 28 Jun 2014, 16:05

EXIF:
exposure: 1/400 sec @ ƒ9.0
iso: 100
focal length: 300mm (70-300mm zoom)

Was if worth taking the shot? AS the Red Arrows passed I noticed the smoke they had released swirling in their wake. I thought it looked worthy of a shot but I now wonder! I also flipped it to give it the red, white and blue result.
Attachments
20140614 1DX 0534 Red Arrows copy.JPG
20140614 1DX 0534 Red Arrows copy.JPG (188.84 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Re: Red Arrows this way came

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 28 Jun 2014, 17:39

Hi David

I can see what you are trying to do with this shot, but it suffers from two main problems - no context and no point of interest. Without knowing that it was the vapour trail left by the Red Arrows, the viewer would not understand what is going on. The red cloud looks a bit odd and I suspect that most would assume it is a strange meteorological phenomenon. White and blue are natural colours for the sky, so would be unremarked. Maybe just the tail end of one of the planes just going out of shot would help? Where it could possibly work is as part of a sequence of images in which the planes had previously been shown, but it is not strong enough to stand on its own.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: Red Arrows this way came

Postby davidb » Sat 28 Jun 2014, 20:25

Thanks Mike. I thought it might be seen as you suggested. The red smoke is a bit unnatural without context but the planes had long since left the scene. I suppose I could clone one into the picture. I just don't think it's worth while. Must try harder.

I have other shots which do have the planes in them (in fact I believe I uploaded one in the Biggin Hill post which is much more exciting).
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “Image Critique”