Bluebells

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Bluebells

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 09:23

Yes, it is that time of year again. With the recent cold weather, it looks as though the bluebells will be a bit later this spring. I am monitoring the situation but have not seen any appear so far.

I often go to Staffhurst Wood which usually has a good display. The best time to go is before the tree canopy has fully formed otherwise the bluebells will be in the shade. Those are the conditions they prefer but it is not necessarily best for photography. It can be a short window of opportunity. Depending on circumstances, I might have to announce a date at short notice, but does anyone else from the club want to come along?

Bluebells (1 of 1).jpg
Bluebells at Staffhurst Wood
Bluebells (1 of 1).jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Tina

Re: Bluebells

Postby Tina » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 11:17

Hi Mike
I would like to come along please.
Tina
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 12:46

Hi Mike, I was just thinking about bluebells - yes I would like to tag along.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 16 Apr 2021, 21:47

I am monitoring the bluebells in my local woods and can see the plants but there are no sign of any flowers. It looks as though it will be a week or so yet before there is a decent display.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 18 Apr 2021, 14:58

I saw the first bluebell buds today, albeit there was no colour. I am wondering about a foray on 26 April or shortly after before the canopy develops too much. Maybe try for some late afternoon light? As a point of reference, the picture I uploaded to accompany this thread was taken on 10 May 2013 which was also a cold spring. (I remember it well as I was still wearing gloves in June!)
Regards

Mike Farley
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Mon 19 Apr 2021, 10:30

The 26th seems as good a time as any, I have a few bluebells in the garden that have started flowering in the last few days, so I would think we should get something! I'm not familiar with the location so I will be guided by your thoughts on best time of day re lighting!
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Apr 2021, 18:58

Franke07 wrote:The 26th seems as good a time as any, I have a few bluebells in the garden that have started flowering in the last few days, so I would think we should get something! I'm not familiar with the location so I will be guided by your thoughts on best time of day re lighting!

Still no bluebells fully in bloom at my local woods, but I saw some today at Denbies and my contacts inform me that they were in evidence at Staffhurst Wood last week, albeit there were no great swathes. 26 April seems like a good day to go. I will e-mail people privately with details of time and meeting location.
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Tue 20 Apr 2021, 14:08

Hi Mike
Can you believe it! Nothing for a year then two things come along at once.
We have a chance of seeing our younger son and his partner on Monday 26th April for a late afternoon walk and a pub tea.
Sorry there's no competition because we haven't seen very much of them as you can appreciate.
Hope you all have a good time and I look forward to seeing the results.
All the best
Tina x
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 20 Apr 2021, 15:53

Tina wrote:Can you believe it! Nothing for a year then two things come along at once.

Hi Tina

I can believe it. For me, it is a fairly regular occurrence having to choose between two (or sometimes more!) events when much to my frustration there is plenty of free time on the days either side. I have had a look at my diary next week and Monday looks like the best day, especially for a late afternoon/evening shoot. Sorry to have sunk your battleship but I fully appreciate that family occasions always take precedence. Especially when there have been so few opportunities to meet up with our loved ones over the past few months. Enjoy the walk and pub tea.
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:36

Hi All
Graham and I popped down to Staffurst Woods after work this afternoon for an hour or so.
Th bluebells are gorgeous. You will all be spoilt for choice.
Hope you have a lovely time.
Tina
Bluebells.jpg
Bluebells.jpg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

Return to “Outings & Events”