Westerham Walkabout - 12 April

Details and discussion for any up-coming outings, exhibitions, or general photographic events.
Mike Farley

Westerham Walkabout - 12 April

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 13 Mar 2021, 10:34

Assuming that the reluctant Fates can be cajoled into complying, later this month we should finally come out of the Great Covid-19 Lockdown of 2020-21. We have lived under its restrictions, for all intents and purposes*, since the beginning of last November. Any resemblance of what was once “normal life” remains a way off but for the first time in many months, we will be permitted to meet outside in groups of up to six people from different households. Time, then, for a modest outing.

On the afternoon of Monday 12 April, I plan to spend a couple of hours wandering around Westerham, camera in hand. The place has a long history and there is plenty to see and do, including the central green, church, high street and an attractive row of cottages. If anyone is interested, up to five members of Croydon CC are welcome to join me. Simply respond to this thread to express interest and I will provide details of when and where to meet via e-mail. First come, first served. If more than five people want to participate it might be possible to have more than one group if others are willing to coordinate them. As 12 April marks the date when non-essential business should be able to re-open, we might even find a café where we can have a cup of tea.

Participation is subject to the social distancing rules in force at the time.

* Yes, I am aware that there was a slight relaxation of the regulations for a few short, glorious days at the start of December which interspersed Lockdown 2 and Lockdown 3.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
emmanuel

Re: Westerham Walkabout - 12 April

Postby emmanuel » Wed 24 Mar 2021, 17:55

Hi Mike. I am up for the Westerham walkabout on the 12th of April. Hope some more members will join.

Emmanuel.
toms

Postby toms » Thu 25 Mar 2021, 09:18

Hi Mike,

Covid and weather permitting whilst there might not be that much to photograph it is an ideal opportunity for a few members to meet up and to hopefully look towards arranging some activities later this season. Perhaps for those who have not had the opportunity to do much photography or like many have lacked the will, it would present opportunities to create stock for next season.

Please count me in.

Tom
davidb

Postby davidb » Thu 25 Mar 2021, 10:09

I would love to visit Westerham - but I have no transport and would need to share. Any volunteers?
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 26 Mar 2021, 08:36

toms wrote: ..... there might not be that much to photograph it is an ideal opportunity for a few members to meet up and to hopefully look towards arranging some activities later this season.

I do envisage this as much as a social occasion after the long months of lockdown as well as a photo opportunity without having to travel too far. As you say, we can think about going further afield for subsequent trips. Hopefully, this will turn out to be an initial foray as part of the return to more normal life.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 05 Apr 2021, 19:51

The government has confirmed the further easing of restrictions, including that cafes etc can re-open for oudoors service from next Monday, so this trip is going ahead. I will circulate privately the meeting details to those attending.

If others wish to organise an outing, perhaps somewhere accessible by public transport for those without cars, it is straightforward to make the necessary arrangements.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 11 Apr 2021, 14:41

An e-mail with the meeting details has gone to attendees.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 12 Apr 2021, 08:02

On the morning of our outing, I did not expect to wake up to falling snow. Especially in the middle of April. Neither did the BBC's weather forecasters, it would seem. The Met Office website appears to have a more accurate prediction, with the snowfall stopping between 10:00 - 11:00 and warming up this afternoon sufficiently to melt any snow.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 12 Apr 2021, 08:19

The BBC's forecasters have either just found some seaweed or stuck their heads out of the window and have now updated their prognosis to something closer to reality.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 12 Apr 2021, 19:35

An enjoyable afternoon in Westerham earlier on, with the opportunity to meet up in person with Tom and Emmanuel.

A couple of topical shots from the day. Not many bunches of flowers in the second.

Topic (2 of 2).jpg
Half mast
Topic (2 of 2).jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 1866 times

Topic (1 of 2).jpg
Floral tribute
Topic (1 of 2).jpg (76.2 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Outings & Events”