FSLPS - 2013 Finals Day

Read-only area where club-related and forum-related announcements are posted.
Mike Farley

FSLPS - 2013 Finals Day

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 02 Feb 2013, 10:05

The Federation of South London Photographic Societies' (FSLPS) Finals Day will be held at St. John's Church Hall, Eden Park Avenue, Beckenham, BR3 3JN on Saturday 20th April 2013. Tickets cost £5.

In addition to the finals of the various inter-club competitions and selection of the best certificated images from each contest, there are also open competitions which members of affiliated clubs can enter. Each entry to the open competitions costs £1, with up to two entries per author per competition. Further information about the requirements for entries are at the foot of this post.

The competitions to be held are:

Inter-club Finals: Alex Falk Trophy (colour prints)
Holroyd Trophy (monochrome prints)
Vic Smith Trophy (PDIs)

Certificate Winners Comps: KJP Trophy (colour prints)
Owen Trophy (monochrome prints)
Edwin Appleton Rose Bowl (PDIs)

Open Competitions: Punch Bowl (colour prints)
Retina Cup (monochrome prints)
Jack’s Jug (PDIs)

FSLPS has a number of rules for its competitions as stated in section 3 of its handbook which can be found on the SLF website at: http://www.fslps.org.uk/Competitions/CompsMain.htm.

Note that all prints must be on 40 x 50 cm mounts – prints not conforming to this size will not be accepted. Also note that the re-use of images in more than one discipline in the open competitions is not allowed.

A digital file must accompany ALL prints.

There is further information about how to submit digital files in the PDF document included with this post.

Entries to the open competitions will be submitted via the club and further information will be available in due course.
Attachments
Instructions for Submitting Digital Files for FSLPS Finals Day.pdf
(374.08 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: FSLPS - 2013 Finals Day

Postby davidc » Sat 02 Feb 2013, 15:53

It's unclear if there is a closing date for these or if we just take them on the day? Reading their guides I can't see a closing date anywhere but I'd have assumed that because the entries need to be made via the club there would be a cutoff point? Maybe at least a Croydon club cutoff so whomever is organising the entries has time to sort it out?

I'm interested in this too.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 02 Feb 2013, 16:27

This information was not provided in the e-mail provided by the SLF, but I posted anyway to give people as much warning as possible. Bill is our FSLPS representative, so I'll ask him if he is able to provide an update on the arrangements for submitting entries.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 17:00

I have spoken to Bill and he has confirmed that the FSLPS has not yet advised the complete arrangements, including closing date, for entries to the open competition. As I said in my previous post, this is an early announcement to give notice of both the competition and the date of Finals Day for people's diaries. The event is always enjoyable, with a lot of good photography on show and critiques by top flight judges, so I hope that Croydon will have a good representation on the day.

There will be an update to this announcement when the club has the relevant information.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 17:18

Definitely intending to participate, ideally in all categories. 365 project has to be useful for something right?
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Feb 2013, 18:25

I wish you luck. You are certainly generating a wide variety of images with your 365 project and your difficulty might well be knowing which two images to select. :)
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 15 Feb 2013, 14:41

UPDATE:

As previously advised, Bill Yates is coordinating entries by club members to the individual competitions and these must be with him by 27 February.
No late entries will be accepted and all submissions must include the correct fee. Bill has also sent an e-mail to all club members with the updated details.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 20 Feb 2013, 23:30

The club has reached the finals of the Plate competitions in the SLF competitions for colour prints and DPIs. Clubs which are eliminated in the first round
of the three SLF competitions are automatically entered in the Plate contest.

Our Colour Print panel comprises the following:

1 Fungi (Stereum ostrea) on fallen tree - Roy King
2 Male territory - Anthony Dilley
3 No.1 London Bridge - Walter Conquy
4 Elena Baltacha (Wimbledon Championships 2012) - Bill Yates
5 Flower girl - Tom Sherrin
6 Orchid, No.1 - Walter Conquy
7 Caught in the deluge - Bill Yates
8 Chairs - Roy King
Tie Breaker: Oil, No.2 - Ian Anderson

The PDI panel consists of:

1 Basis of photography - Ian Anderson
2 Come in - Nina Ludwig
3 Holding court - Irvine Bartlett
4 Grand - Irvine Bartlett
5 Well covered - Mike Day
6 Autumn fruits - Nina Ludwig
7 Sunny steps - Bill Yates
8 Six -spot Burnett on Bee Orchid - Mark Monckton
Tie Breaker: Morning mist - Michael Hope

The tie breaker images are only used in event of both clubs having identical scores after the eight images in the main panel have been marked.

Congratulations to all those whose photos have enable the club to progress to the finals, which are being held at Bromley Camera Club on 21 February. The event will also include the Plate final for monochrome prints in which Croydon is not participating as we have reached the final of the main competition.

Bromley CC meets at United Services Club, 33 London Road, Bromley BR1 3DG and the meeting starts at 8:00 pm if anyone wishes to attend.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 14 Mar 2013, 08:47

Is there a published calendar of these inter-club competitions, particularly those with open competitions? I would appreciate as much time and warning as possible to make sure I can adequately prepare.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 14 Mar 2013, 09:24

The SLF has published a full list of the dates for its various competitions for the 2013-14 season on its website. The only date not yet announced is for Finals day, although you can expect it to be around the same time as this year. You do not need to do anything for these competitions as the club's entry is selected from images submitted into the club's internal competitions.

http://www.fslps.org.uk/Competitions/CompsMain.htm

What I suspect that you are referring to is the open competition for individuals held in conjunction with Finals Day. We are dependent on the timescales announced by the SLF and the information was posted on this forum as soon as we received it. This year, this did seem to be at rather short notice and perhaps this is something on which we can provide feedback. That said, like the club, the SLF is run on a voluntary basis and is dependent on availability of those willing and able to undertake all the necessary tasks.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Announcements”