Mountboard

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Mountboard

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 24 Oct 2012, 16:53

It has been a while since we clubbed together for a bulk order of mountboard from Wessex Pictures. With the entry for the club's annual exhibition coming up, I wondered if there would be any interest in placing a joint order? The price is £2-50 + VAT per sheet, but it must be bought in packs of 25. If we have two packs, the price drops to £1-98 + VAT per sheet and delivery will be free. A bit of juggling with individual quantities will be required to get multiples of 25 sheets, but it is worthwhile to get good quality board at an advantageous price. Are there any takers?

http://www.wessexpictures.com/product1588.html
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Re: Mountboard

Postby davidc » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 09:44

Definitely extremely interested! Also, a tutorial on how to correctly mount images would be appreciated - it's hard enough getting the images printed nicely without then being marked down on "shoddy mounting"!
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 12:39

David, if people are interested in a tutorial I would be happy to show how its done. We often used to do one at the open evening for new members.
Tina

Postby Tina » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 15:30

I am definately interested in the mountboard and any tutorials are always useful.
As I mentioned to Mike last night the judge commented on a few images that had colour problems, so guidance in this regard would also be appreciated.
Tina
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 15:39

Tina wrote:I am definately interested in the mountboard and any tutorials are always useful.
As I mentioned to Mike last night the judge commented on a few images that had colour problems, so guidance in this regard would also be appreciated.
Tina

I am planning to run more "at home" sessions shortly, following up on the suggestions to demonstrate mono conversion and cutting window mounts. I'll start a separate thread in the Outings and Events section to guage interest.

Any mount cutting presentation which I do will be based on using my Longridge mount cutter. I know that it is possible to create mounts using less expensive equipment such as a cutting mat, metal ruler and scalpel, but I like having fingers and felt that the Longridge was a worthwhile investment. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
EricK

Postby EricK » Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:11

I would certainly be interested in the mountboard order especially if various colours are being ordered.
The tutorials on making mounts would be useful as well.
I believe it was mainly my black and white entries that had the colour problems, this I believe was due to using cheap catridges but I would be keen to get any help in this area.

Eric K
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:32

I'm currently just using a metal ruler and sharp knife and though it's time consuming I've never had a problem until the judge called my work "shoddy"! Somewhat surprising as I thought the focus was on the image not the mount?

Looking at the mount cutters on the longridge website I think I'm having a mental block to see what they do differently to my normal routine of marking out and cutting by hand :) At the price you need to pay for one of their cheaper models I must admit it seems rather expensive for what it is!
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 27 Oct 2012, 16:46

davidc wrote:I'm currently just using a metal ruler and sharp knife and though it's time consuming I've never had a problem until the judge called my work "shoddy"! Somewhat surprising as I thought the focus was on the image not the mount?

Looking at the mount cutters on the longridge website I think I'm having a mental block to see what they do differently to my normal routine of marking out and cutting by hand :) At the price you need to pay for one of their cheaper models I must admit it seems rather expensive for what it is!

A poor mount can spoil the overall presentation, which might affect a judge's view. Whatever we might think, they are still human! The Longridge mount cutters are certainly not cheap, but they are convenient, reasonably quick and safe, and produce a good result. There are other systems available which are less expensive, as I am certain Google knows!
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 27 Oct 2012, 16:51

EricK wrote:I would certainly be interested in the mountboard order especially if various colours are being ordered.
The tutorials on making mounts would be useful as well.
I believe it was mainly my black and white entries that had the colour problems, this I believe was due to using cheap catridges but I would be keen to get any help in this area.

Eric K

Where mount colours are concerned, being conservative is usually best. White for mono and a creamy off white for colour. A mount with a distinct colour which does not suit the print is very likely to provoke an adverse comment from the judge. When we have previously dealt with Wessex Pictures, the order has only been for white and antique white board as there has not been sufficient demand for other colours to make a bulk purchase of a pack of 25 boards.
Regards

Mike Farley
Canonballer

Postby Canonballer » Mon 29 Oct 2012, 20:26

I would also be interested in purchasing some mountboard as I am now running very low - so this initiative is quite timely as far as I'm concerned. Some of each shade would be ideal for me.

BTW, I use a Logan Compact mountcutter, which I have always thought does a reasonable job. I think I paid about £80 for it from Discount Art .com; but this was quite a few years ago now and prices have probably risen since. However I do completely agree with Mike's comments in that having fingers is quite useful :lol: and having a device like the Logan does make the whole job so much easier especially when you are working in the less than ideal conditions that often prevail in the domestic environment (e.g. limited working space and non-ideal lighting etc)!
Regards,

Dave Newman

Return to “General”