Silly Apple Marketing quote

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
davidc

Silly Apple Marketing quote

Postby davidc » Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:01

This from their VP in charge of marketing for the new iphone -

"It used to be the way you take better pictures is you learn to be a better photographer. You get bigger cameras, bigger lenses, you learn about all the techniques of light meters and gels and filters, and you can spend your lifetime learning how to take advantage of this and make it work for you.

For the people who want do that, that’s great. For most of us, we just want to take a picture, and have the iPhone take a better picture for us."

Riiiight.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Re: Silly Apple Marketing quote

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 12 Sep 2013, 18:23

davidc wrote:This from their VP in charge of marketing for the new iphone -

"It used to be the way you take better pictures is you learn to be a better photographer. You get bigger cameras, bigger lenses, you learn about all the techniques of light meters and gels and filters, and you can spend your lifetime learning how to take advantage of this and make it work for you.

For the people who want do that, that’s great. For most of us, we just want to take a picture, and have the iPhone take a better picture for us."

Riiiight.

Sadly, I think that for the majority of people, the Apple marketing guy is on the money. You only have to look at what is uploaded to photo sharing websites to see that aesthetic quality does not feature as a priority for most. It's just a record of their lives which they are after. When you see tourists, some of whom have obviously travelled thousands of miles to get to their destination, snapping away with camera phones or sometimes tablets, you do wonder though.

Looking at the most popular cameras on the 365project website, where you would expect a greater emphasis on the artistic, in the last 30 days the iPhone 4S was the second most popular camera, with the iPhone 4 coming in at number 8 and the iPhone 5 in 12th place. Not that the the iPhone has a monopoly on being capable of good technical quality, but it and other phones are seen as adequate replacements for the compact cameras many used to carry.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”