For Fuji fans

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

For Fuji fans

Postby abennettphotography » Sat 30 Jul 2022, 21:07

A friend of mine recently got the new Fujifilm XF 150-600mm f5.6-8 R LM OIS WR Lens to pair with his new XS10 and what a lens! It's so light and the sharpness is biting. I went with him to try it out to RSPB Rye Meads - some of my pics on our FB page. He took similar. But the most astonishing thing, at least to this untrained eye, was that he also used the new 1.4x converter with NO discernible difference in the loss of quality. If you're in the Fuji system and need a long lens/teleconverter combo then you are very lucky indeed.
Mike Farley

Re: For Fuji fans

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 02 Aug 2022, 09:18

Hi Andy

The secret is out - Fujifilm has long been making some very fine lenses! Last month, I had the opportunity to use the 150-600 on the new X-H2S when I went on a photowalk with Fujifilm at Cameraworld Live which was held at Brands Hatch. As you say, it was a remarkably light combination given the lens' reach. Quite unreasonably, Fujifilm wanted its gear back afterwards, so later on I was shooting with my X-H1 and older 100-400 lens. I posted my thoughts and some images here on the forum (link below). I also have the 1.4 converter and agree that its use does not degrade image quality in any noticeable way. From what I understand, the converters are an integral part of the lens design. I have the 80 mm macro and the converters can be used with that as well which adds useful versatility.

Based on my short period of time with the new lens, I slightly prefer the results from 100-400. With the 1.4 converter attached, it has a simlar range of focal lengths and maximum apertures as the 150-600. To date, I have not felt the need to have a longer telephoto. One thing that I did notice, though, was how warm my black lens got in the sun compared to the 150-600 with its silver finish.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3921#p16923
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”