Why print?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

Why print?

Postby abennettphotography » Sun 05 Dec 2021, 11:44

So. At Wednesday's print competition the judge barely mentioned printing but described photos as if it were a DPI competition. Now I thought the printing was supposed to add an extra level of skill - choosing papers, choosing why to print a particular photo, how to present it, how to achieve best colour/tones etc. Or have I misunderstood the point?
Mike Farley

Re: Why print?

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 06 Dec 2021, 14:54

abennettphotography wrote:.....I thought the printing was supposed to add an extra level of skill - choosing papers, choosing why to print a particular photo, how to present it, how to achieve best colour/tones etc.

Hi Andy

I was not at the meeting so cannot comment on what occurred but do know that the judge is newly qualified and this was only their second competition. Someone with more experience might well have provided a commentary more along the lines of what you expected. You are correct about the skills you highlighted but I would add a further consideration. Unlike DPI, a print becomes something tangible and being able to view a physical object is altogether more satisfying than any form of digital representation. There is also a connection to the photographer in knowing that they have handled the print and bestowed something of themselves in its creation. While it is hardly a concern for club photography, prints made by well known artists command higher prices than those produced by third parties. For much of his career, Henri Cartier-Bresson had others do the darkroom work but those he did himself in his early days are highly prized by collectors.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
walterconquy

Re: Why print?

Postby walterconquy » Tue 07 Dec 2021, 16:27

Hi I thought I might put my tupennyworth. I agree with both points, except there are some photographers including people like Ansel Adams or Robert Maplethorpe who I have seen live so to speak, their assistants make great prints full of "colour" especially Mapplethorpe, the ones he did were absolutely dull. But he new what he wanted and got the best from his prints. By colour I mean tones from their mono prints especially. I always think the print is the epitome of the photo world.
Good luck with your printing.
wally

Return to “General”