On the Twelfth Day of Christmas the Photo Fairy Sent to Me...

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas the Photo Fairy Sent to Me...

Postby abennettphotography » Wed 08 Sep 2021, 16:52

...12x36exp Provia 100F.

So. These have been in my fridge for about 10years, give or take. Some may have been through x-ray. And most recently, they've been doused in water due to fridge defrosting so I can't guarantee whether they're still usable though despite the drenching, the canisters have remained sealed throughout.

If anyone wants them, let me know.
Mike Farley

Re: On the Twelfth Day of Christmas the Photo Fairy Sent to Me...

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 10 Sep 2021, 18:55

Using expired film, which might seem a strange idea, is something which some people enjoy. Shooting film is a slightly odd experience these days of digital as the instant feedback to which we have become accustomed is no longer present. It is easy to tell if somoen is new to film[ they look at the baclk of the camera after pressing the shutter. The results from film past its best just add an extra level to the frisson of uncertainty. There are plenty of guides available, of which this is just one example:

https://www.popphoto.com/guide-to-shoot ... ired-film/

For anyone interested, I would not discount Andy's offer. X-rays can cause fogging but the radiation from machines used byairport security for hand luggage is set to low levels. It would require several passes to have any noticeable effect. I believe that the scanners used for hold luggage and commercial shipments use higher doses. I recently received some film in the post from the Czech Republic which was wrapped in lead-lined material to protect it. I have yet to expose it to see how effectively it protected the emulsion.

The big unknown is whether there has any water ingress from the defrosted fridge. The canisters have fairly tight seals which means they might be OK. Anyway, part of the fun is seeing the unpredictable results from film which has had some adventures during its existence.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”