Snowdonia

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Tina

Snowdonia

Postby Tina » Wed 08 Sep 2021, 11:42

Hi All
Graham and I have booked a trip to North Wales at the beginning of October and wondered if anyone has any recommendations or know of any 'not to be missed' locations.
Am I right in thinking Paul went a couple of years ago on a recce?
Thank you and keep well everyone,
Tina
Mike Farley

Re: Snowdonia

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 08 Sep 2021, 14:17

I have a number of the guides in this series, including this one, and they are very comprehensive. They usually employ local photographers to create the guides. As one example, Mark Bauer (our Wratten Lecturer last season) lives in Swanage and wrote the Dorset book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographing- ... 327&sr=8-1

Ellen Bowness' guides are also good and I have most of what she has published. She had a stall at the last Photography Show and signed those that I bought from her there. I believe she lives in the Lake District but she travels widely when researching her books:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/099 ... bl_vppi_i6

Both give directions, including postcodes for the satnav, and details of when best to shoot at each location. They take a lot of work and uncertainty out of finding the best places for landscape photography.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Tina

Postby Tina » Thu 09 Sep 2021, 08:43

Hi Mike
Thank you. I have the Simon Kitchin one but will probably buy the other one as well.
There seems to be so many beautiful locations it will be difficult to choose which ones each day.
Keep well
Tina
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 10 Sep 2021, 16:20

Tina wrote:I have the Simon Kitchin one but will probably buy the other one as well.
There seems to be so many beautiful locations it will be difficult to choose which ones each day.

Like all her books, the one by Ellen Bowness is much smaller than the Fotovue equivalent (I have both), but it might help narrow down the choice of locations. Incidentally, my copy is autographed so I know I bought it on spec at The Photography Show in 2019. I have not had the opportunity to use it yet, for some reason ..... ;)

I have not been to the area for several years but I remember driving past Llyn Gwynant, realised that it might make a good shot and pulled into a handy car park. After I had finished a couple of minutes later, I turned around to find half a dozen or so people who had seen me and stopped to take their own shot. As you say, a spectacular part of the world. I hope that you come back with a good selection of shots.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 14 Sep 2021, 09:08

Im so jealous! Its 5 years since I went there.

I used Simon Kitchin's book and found it to be a really good resource. In fact whilst at Llyn Idwal I actually recognised the man himself doing a 1to1 tuition course! He was surprised that someone would recognise him and offered to sign my copy but because Id already bought it at launch from his website it was already signed.

The cover shot of Twr Mawr Lighthouse is a fabulous location but its a very long walk across a huge beach from the car park so allow plenty of time. Here's a shameless plug for an album of my shots - https://www.flickr.com/photos/8182614@N ... 2466725953
Tina

Postby Tina » Wed 15 Sep 2021, 12:55

Hi Paul
I had a feeling you had been to Snowdonia but didn't think it was that long ago.
Love your images. I think maybe I have seen a couple in our club competitions.
I'm hoping I can get a couple of decent ones if the weather conditions are favourable and I can get myself out of bed early enough.
Looking forward to Guy Edwardes tonight-should be good!
Tina
davidb

Postby davidb » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 17:09

I've just been watching TV where they visited a garden near Welshpool which might be of interest. Check out:

https://www.gardenstovisit.net/the-dingle-garden/
Regards

David A Beard.
Tina

Postby Tina » Thu 23 Sep 2021, 19:57

Thanks David. I will check it out.

Return to “General”