Messing Around

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Messing Around

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 19:03

I will not bother about putting this shot in Photo Sharing because, well, it is hardly a serious effort. It was taken at Chartwell earlier this week on what was a chilly, overcast day from a viewpoint that looks out over the Kent Weald. OK, part of the image was taken then. I added a bit more later on at the post processing stage. I will leave you to work out what was there at the time and what was not. The extra component is not actually mine as I downloaded it. An added bonus, as I did not even have to risk exposure to extreme weather elements to produce this.

Over the past few weeks, I have seen some impressive lightning shots. They are not easy to take but the latest software with sky replacement functionality simplifies the task enormously. I fear that we are going to see images in competition which will garner more credit than they really deserve. Judges can only award marks on what they see and cannot know what the photographer's input really amounted to.

Stormy.jpg
False Storm
Stormy.jpg (116.43 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Messing Around

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 11 Apr 2021, 09:24

I used Luminar AI and a downloaded lightning image to create my falsified image. Luminar AI and its companion application, Luminar 4, make sky replacement very easy and Photoshop also has a similar function nowadays. Then I recalled that I had seen an article about how to create a lightning effect and did a quick search on the Internet. This is one of the tutorials that I found. It shows a number of useful techniques and is worth watching regardless of whether the intent is to introduce a lightning streak into an image.

https://youtu.be/UCyZ-3zYWs8
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”