Best and most important D/SLR?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

Best and most important D/SLR?

Postby abennettphotography » Mon 04 May 2020, 12:05

The latest photography News Podcast is worth a listen - https://youtu.be/mwko1SOX56E

Towards the end they discuss the best d/slr which morphs into the most important/influential. I thought we could do the same and perhaps compile a top 10 list at the end. To kick off:

Asahi Pentax 1957 - first pentaprism with returning mirror. Also film rewind and film crank
Pentax ME-F - first autofocus
Minolta XD-11 - first to have aperture and shutter priority in same body
Minolta Dynax - seem to remember these were the first to use 'cards. to change various modes (could be wrong, though)
Sony Mavica - first digital camera. Didn't gain much traction but used floppy disks to record images

As fro the best? No idea!
Iggy

Re: Best and most important D/SLR?

Postby Iggy » Tue 05 May 2020, 19:55

I had a Pentax ME super which did not have autofocus.
Next I had a Pentax Z-20 with a Pentax 50mm macro lens which Pentax loaned to me that I still have today.

On ebay, the ME super body today is more expensive than the Z-20.

Actually the superb 50mm Pentax macro is currently on my old Canon 400D via an adapter, so no autofocus.
I must charge the Canon camera battery and give it a play.

Apologies for going "off piste" on your subject but your mention of Pentax brought back some happy memories.
abennettphotography

Re: Best and most important D/SLR?

Postby abennettphotography » Mon 11 May 2020, 20:28

Ah, yes. When I were a lad I lusted after a Pentax ME-Super as well as the Pentax LX and the Olympus OM4-Ti. Not Nikons or Canons for me.

Eventually, I got a Pentax MZ-5N which I still have.

BTW returning to the piste, I don't think the Sony Mavica was full frame, I think that accolade went to Kodak

Return to “General”